Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Cooking Bacon

egretegret Posts: 4,033
edited 7:48PM in EggHead Forum
I'm doing a demo cook Saturday at a new BGE dealer and want to do some bacon with applewood to be served with biscuits for the morning session. Never tried it but I think it would be pretty darn good. I will try it at home first, however. My question is what to cook it on as well as time, temp., etc. I was thinking of maybe hanging the slices on the members on the rib rack with a drip pan. Any other, and probably better, ideas?
·

Comments

• Car Wash MikeCar Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    bacon2.jpg
    <p />egret,
    Might I suggest cherry wood instead. A great guy from the Burg told me how to cook bacon.[p]bacon1.jpg[p]Cook indirect with a drip pan on the placesetter at 400-450. If the grease hits the fire, look out.
    I start off with a few slabs of bacon then adding accordingly, and moving bacon around. It usually takes me 45 minutes to 1 hour for 1 lb. This was thin sliced but try thick. You are going to end up with very crisp bacon and no greasey taste. I usually cook bacon to go with chicken sandwiches or bacon burgers.[p]That setup is placesetter, grid, pan then raised grid.[p]Good luck.[p]Mike

·
  • egret,
    You might also try Cherry wood. I did this a few times and it
    was very good. I would not use a flavored bacon such as maple
    since its flavor and wood smoke flavor may clash. Use
    an unflavored bacon. I laid out the strips on a cooling rack
    and put it in the smoker over a drip pan. Can't remember the
    cooking temp but think it was in the 275 - 325 deg.F range.
    Good idea about trying it at home first. Good luck.

·
  • Car Wash Mike ,
    My set up is the same ... works better when it lays flat. I use the residual heat from a T-Rex cook to make bacon while I eat the steak for dinner. I use cherry, apple or hickory. All are very good. Go for the thick sliced bacon it seems to hold up the best. 375-400 for me.[p]Great bacon shot ... mmmmm chrispy bacon.[p]Just for variety you should try making the biscuits in the egg as well. You should have a hot clean fire by the end of the bacon cook. [p]Doug

·
  • haywyrehaywyre Posts: 165
    PICT0005.jpg
    <p />Smoked Signals,
    I have done mine in cast iron (Keep Fire around 350-400 If grease is smoking its to hot, I do allot of frying on my egg including Spam.)(BGE Flame Jacket on fire away )[p]

PICT0003.jpg
    [p]newsig.png
    ·
  • BordelloBordello Posts: 5,926
    haywyre,
    Are you using a ????spacer/extra firering or???? to raise the grid????[p]Thanks,
    New Bob

·
  • haywyrehaywyre Posts: 165
    New Bob,
    Yeah Its my old cracked one. Its cracked only on one side. I place it in there upside down on top of my old grate. then place my 2nd grate on top of it. With this setup it give me a raised grid and directs the hest to a more concentrated area. Like a Jet Thruster ;)[p]newsig.png

·
  • egretegret Posts: 4,033
    Thank all of you for your great suggestions and pics. I don't have any cherry wood so will have to use a substitute. It should be good, anyway, no matter what........

·