Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Night (pics)

Mighty_Quinn
Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Store bought whole wheat dough with fresh mozz, ham, Gorgonzola, and pine nuts. Cooked on top of adjustable rig at 550 for about 8 minutes. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Looks great. Nice pizza.
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    You have every right to the the proud PaPa you are! - Good looking pie. 
    Maybe its a Canuck thing, why not shredded cheese, or do you prefer not to cover the whole pie? 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Bravo! That is a beautiful pie
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Thanks guys....yeah, skiddymarker, I just prefer a light hand with cheese. Can't beat fresh mozzarella and there's too much moisture in it to shred. I like to slice thinly and set in between a couple paper towels for a while to pull some of the moisture from it. I seems to work as I don't get watery pies.
  • Pine nuts... great idea!  Nice cook, thanks! 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Wow! Drool !!!

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• I am one week into cooking on the egg and have done pizza twice. Last night I had people over and cooked 6 pizzas including two large ones. Used crust from the bread maker which was very good. Cooked on platesetter with pizza stone at 550-600. Turned out great, but will try slightly lower temp next time. I used a SuperPeel which works great. Well worth it if you bake a lot of pizza.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I prefer the mozzarella sliced over grated...want every bite to be a little different.  Good job!
    I wish my pizza came out cooked so perfectly, that looks awesome!
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Thanks....the secrets to perfect pies are light hand with toppings, whatever temp you're cooking at make sure to hold that temp for a good 30-45 minutes before cooking to allow the ceramics to heat all the way, and to cook as high in the dome as possible.
  • NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    edited August 2012
    Mighty_Quinn said: Thanks....the secrets to perfect pies are light hand with toppings...
    "...light hand with toppings"... that is my biggest problem (
    with pizza anyway).  I've learned that shopping for topping ingredients on an empty stomach is a bad idea.  

Sausage! Pepperoni! Pancetta! Olives!  Onions!  Mushrooms!  Four kinds of Cheese!  
    You get the idea. :)
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    With pizza, as with prose, sometimes, oftentimes, less is paradoxically more.
    Thanks....the secrets to perfect pies are light hand with toppings...

"...light hand with toppings"... that is my biggest problem (with pizza anyway).  I've learned that shopping for topping ingredients on an empty stomach is a bad idea.  

Sausage! Pepperoni! Pancetta! Olives!  Onions!  Mushrooms!  Four kinds of Cheese!  
    You get the idea. :)

That's fine, just add a little of each!

edited August 2012
    Thanks....the secrets to perfect pies are light hand with toppings, whatever temp you're cooking at make sure to hold that temp for a good 30-45 minutes before cooking to allow the ceramics to heat all the way, and to cook as high in the dome as possible.
    My current pizza rig.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Pic did not attach.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Mighty_Quinn
    That's the idea Doc!
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I've been following Doc's ingenious setup.  Turn the woo upside down and put the stone on for a perfectly elevated grid.

Good going Doc.

• pileit1971
    pileit1971 Posts: 136
    I am asking LOTS of dumb questions tonight as I get ready to put my first egg together this weekend, but what is the "WOO" and where can I get one.  Definitely seems like I need something to raise the grid.

Thanks!
    Large BGE
    Camp Chef 4 burner Griddle

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • Doc_Eggerton

• HDmstng
    HDmstng Posts: 192
    Duganboy said:
    I've been following Doc's ingenious setup.  Turn the woo upside down and put the stone on for a perfectly elevated grid.

Good going Doc.

Is that with the platesetter in?  And is that the Woo or PSWoo (2 or 3)?  Would a 16" stone work as well with that setup?  I've been considering the PSWoo2 and spider since I have the platesetter already.  Pizza is the next thing I'd like to make and if this works that would be icing on the cake .  
  • Doc_Eggerton
    HDmstng said:
    Duganboy said:

Good going Doc.

Is that with the platesetter in?  And is that the Woo or PSWoo (2 or 3)?  Would a 16" stone work as well with that setup?  I've been considering the PSWoo2 and spider since I have the platesetter already.  Pizza is the next thing I'd like to make and if this works that would be icing on the cake .  
    That is PS legs up, grid, Woo (upside down), and stone.  This is for an XL, stone sizes will change depending on which BGE you have.