Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

CI Grid on the cheap?

JWBurnsJWBurns Posts: 334
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Looking for a cheap place to source a small or medium sized CI grid for my XL. It will be used on my Woo2 for searing, ect. My dealer wants $67 for the large.. Maybe I'm off but lord that seems pricey for a grid.

Thanks
·

Comments

• I got one off ebay...but I still paid $50 for a large
    ·
  • bigphilbigphil Posts: 1,386
    JWBurns said:
    Looking for a cheap place to source a small or medium sized CI grid for my XL. It will be used on my Woo2 for searing, ect. My dealer wants $67 for the large.. Maybe I'm off but lord that seems pricey for a grid. Thanks
    thats only half a grid for the XL its two pieces i believe  
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
    ·
  • VitamanVitaman Posts: 46

All the cast iron grids are expensive.  I just bought one for my small (13 inch I think) from a local BGE dealer.  I think it was marked at $40 and they gave me a little discount since i was buying some other stuff and charged me around $35. 

If you don't need cast iron you can go to Home Depot and buy a steel grate for a Weber that fits a small BGE for ~$8.  (I think you said in your post you were looking for a medium or small.)

Jeff

·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,070
    Actually, given the quality of the BGE CI's, the price is good. Agreed it may seem like like too much money, I suggest you compare on line to other brands of cast iron grids. A set of CI grids for gasser can run anywhere from $35 to $150. 
    The list for a medium CI is about $50, you should be able to get 15-20% off list on the accessories. I think the small is $40. Your dealer probably has a large in stock and he is trying to push it, get what you want, if a small is all you want, you should be able to get from a dealer for less than $35. 
    If you are going to use it with a rig, would a square or rectangular grid work? If so, check out some sites like http://clagrills.com/. I used then for some Broil King parts. Look thru the list of cast grids and see if one fits. 

Good Luck!
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • bigphilbigphil Posts: 1,386
    bigphil said:
    JWBurns said:
    Looking for a cheap place to source a small or medium sized CI grid for my XL. It will be used on my Woo2 for searing, ect. My dealer wants $67 for the large.. Maybe I'm off but lord that seems pricey for a grid. Thanks
    thats only half a grid for the XL its two pieces i believe  
    facepalm i need to learn to read better  b-(
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
    ·
  • misumisu Posts: 213
    I was looking for another grid at my local dealer and I noticed there's not much difference between the stainless steel one and the CI for a large, weird.
    ·
  • yzziyzzi Posts: 1,793
    edited August 2012
    I really wanted to get a CI grate, but I've just been using a warped pitted wagner skillet that's completely dedicated for the egg to do my searing. I just seared a few ribeyes last weekend. You don't get the grill marks like you do with a grate, but the skillet does a really nice job and it has plenty of other uses on the grill too. I got that skillet for $1--about as cheap as it gets.
    Dunedin, FL
    ·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 7,950
    Join the 2015 Rub & Sauce Exchange!  Find out more information here:
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1182005/2015-egghead-rub-sauce-exchange/p1

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ...
    ·