Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Meatloaf

trout1trout1 Posts: 83
edited August 2012 in Beef
I cooked my first meatloaf yesterday on a lbge.  I put plastic wrap in a glass loaf pan and then put the meatloaf in it.  I then shaped it and put it in the refrigerator for 45min to 1 hour.  I had the egg with the indirect pieces preheated.  I fliped it out of the loaf pan onto a cast iron grid with the flat side up.  I cooked it for about an hour at 360 degrees indirect.  The internal temperature was approximately 157 to 161 degrees (thermapen) in different places.  The meat on the bottom that protruded in the spaces on the grid still looked a little light red.  By the way,  I didn't notice it until I had already eaten some.  The inside looked good.  Was it not done?  Should I have cooked it longer?  Also the onions and bell peppers in it was not as tender as the are when I have cooked it in the oven at 350.  I would appreciate your thoughts and any suggestions on this.  How do you cook your meatloafs, in or out of a pan, direct or indirect, and etc. I do want to try this again.  Thanks for any comments.
·

Comments

• BudgeezerBudgeezer Posts: 522

This is the method that I use, based on a recipe from Dr BBQ.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1141658/first-smoked-meat-loaf-wow#latest

Edina, MN

·
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,758
    I put mine right on the grid, indirect at about 375 until it reaches 155-160 internal.  Usually takes about an hour or so. 
    Packerland, Wisconsin

·
  • pasoeggpasoegg Posts: 252

@budgeezer

take a look at this thread for more ideas....chokeonsmoke is right on the temp for moist

meatloaf....http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1206300/#Comment_1206300

keep swinging at it cause u will find the perfect recipe for you and it dosen't cost a lot for this meal...

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

·
  • pasoeggpasoegg Posts: 252

@trout1 ...see above - my apology to budgeezer for mentioning for him to take a look at the link .....he is trying to help you as well...sorry for getting cornfused

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

·
  • AleBrewerAleBrewer Posts: 555
    I do the cooks illustrated meatloaf. It's a bit time consuming, but it's the best meatloaf I've ever had. I don't have the recipe in front of me, but I believe that all the vegetables get sauteed before mixing them in with the meat.

I do indirect, no pan.
    ·
  • WickedIslandWickedIsland Posts: 148
    edited August 2012
    I put mine right on the grid, indirect at about 375 until it reaches 155-160 internal.  Usually takes about an hour or so. 

+1 on the temps and directly on the grill but I do mine raised direct. I also split the recipe into six individual free form loaves. It is a great way to serve several people and depending on the glaze you use, it will give each one a good amount of nice crust. I only use ketchup on the top
    ·
  • the red was the smoke ring.

Dave Montgomery at Wheeling West Virgina
    ·
  • DuganboyDuganboy Posts: 1,118
    If you have a perforated basket or pan these are excellent to use for meatloaf.  These type pans let you cook it direct, but still give support to the meatloaf.

BGE sells them.
    ·
  • trout1trout1 Posts: 83
    Thanks everone for your advise concerning cooking a meatloaf on the BGE.  I do plan on trying it again.
    ·