Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Redfish on the Egg tonight

Options
Borders
Borders Posts: 665
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
DSCN1401.JPG?dc=4675529667240523944
<p />When I walked out to my car this morning it seemed to have a boat attached to it. I could only assume that despite the fact it was the middle of the week, I was supposed to fish. This is one of 6 redfish we caught today. We kept one each, which is the law, and also is plenty. [p]Wardster-this was Chassohowitzka Bay[p]Fishlessman. I knew this would catch your eye. This weekend, I did prime rib w/2bones as you suggested in an earlier post. Our guests were quite pleased. Good suggestion.
Scott

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Scott
    Man, glad the boat fairy visited you today. I haven't been at the Gulf or Atlantic for years. Really miss that kinda of fishing. We just get those pesky 2 lb. crappies on light weight rods.[p]Mike

• Gordo
    Gordo Posts: 23
    Options
    Borders, from MA but have place in Clearwater. How do you cook those?
    Gordon

• Borders
    Options
    DSCN1405.JPG?dc=4675529677312567442
    <p />Gordo, Redfish is very versatile and delicious. My mind kind of races when I have some to cook. Plenty of possibilities. This was actually my first redfish on the Egg. [p]I wanted a quick cook tonight, so I got my small egg to 325. I used a raised grid w/GrateMates and built a small fire so as to be gentle on the fish. I hit the coals with a handful of peach wood chips and hot smoked for 15 minutes.[p]The fish had 2 different rubs, but each one started with a light coat of olive oil and kosher salt. The smoke and the grilled flavor was top notch.
    Scott

• Borders
    Options
    Car Wash Mike, I really like crappies on light tackle. 2 pounds is a lunker down here!
    Scott

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Borders,
    We only get them about 2-4 weeks out of the year, but they are fun. Timing is of the essence. The rest of the time, little 9-10 inch crappies are the limit.[p]Mike

• ravnhaus
    ravnhaus Posts: 311
    Options
    Borders,
    Looks like you did all right!
    When you start with first rate ingredients like that and apply a simple technique (a little olive oil and kosher salt is my secret mix!) it is hard to go wrong.
    The Egg is perfect for fish and your heart will thank you.
    We need a little more seafood on this group!

• Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Borders,
    Nice red Scott. I had plans on getting some this weekend. Looks like that is out of the question now.... Stay safe

Apollo Beach, FL
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Borders,
    never fished for reds, but its in the plans someday. will have to get a few fly patters tied up in case i ever get near them again. a few years ago i drove down to the carolinas to fish the albies and found out they had redfish there on the day i was driving back. the albie fishing was so good i wouldnt have left it, but a red would have been nice to take back. were you using flies for these redfish

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Borders
    Options
    fishlessman, We were not fly fishing yesterday, but should have been. We were seeing fish, that were obviously seeing and following our lures, but not eating them. Finally I tried a 1/4 ounce tan bucktail jig. We caught 6 in a couple hours on the jigs. Flies would have been the best. [p]Redfish flies are easy. Just let me know and I'll give you several patterns, starting with a simple tan and white clouser on a #1 hook.
    Scott

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    Borders,[p]Hey Scott!![p]Im say...when you find a boat on your bumper...go fish!![p]You're not a Lawyer for nothing![p]Sorta' makes up for those weekends spent with the books!![p]Evans[p]Nice Reds by the way....[p]Those are the perfect eatin' size!![p]PS...cool grill set-up!! [p]
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!