Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rubs: Dizzy Dust vs Homemade

jeffcaputo
jeffcaputo Posts: 15
edited July 2012 in Sauces, Rubs, Marinades

Since I got my egg 2 months ago I have made all my own rubs and BBQ sauces for everything so far: baby backs, spatchcock chicken, beef ribs, pulled pork, short ribs, beer can chicken, steaks, and fish.  They have generally all been amazing, but I see on here that many people use the Dizzy Pig Rubs. 

Do most people do this because the Dizzy Pig Rubs are just so good, or because it is just easier to have a premade rub to use?

Comments

• MemphisBBQ
    MemphisBBQ Posts: 92

I have been making my own as well. My butcher makes a fantastic rub, of which I have been trying to re-create. I have it almost figured out but there is ONE ingredient that I am missing. I have no idea what it is either.

Mine is almost there but missing the right smell. The one I bought smells amazing, mine does not smell anything like it but it does taste good.

Thoughts?

• MemphisBBQ

Guess it would help to identify the smell. It is a smokey smell.

I make a LOT of butts. It is cheaper for me to make my own rub since I go through a lot of it.

• xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    i make my own sometimes, but they're expensive once you buy all the ingredients. Some of my best rubs have been blended versions of a few commercial ones. Honestly, most the proportions in all the major ones are close enough. Blend a few together and ive created MAGIC before. I usually buy 8-13 ounce shakers, and when they get down below half i dump whatever i have around in one large 2lb shaker bottle, shake it up good and go for it. you'd be surprised how good that'll work.
  • Browninggold
    Browninggold Posts: 453
    I make my own rub for chicken and pork. Excellent flavor. I worked on refining the recipe for a few years. Perfect rub IMO and family and friends enjoy it also. I give them a bag every once in a while. Gave a buddy the recipe once after he bugged me a few weeks for the ingredients. Never gave out again. As far as the smoke flavor Memphis maybe your butcher is smoking a big cigar while making the rub
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    I've made a few. Just a few and could never find anything that would qualify as slap yo momma good. So far it's just a convenient thing for me to buy and they are really good too. I couldn't see spending 30$ to try and make a rub that wasn't that great instead of spending 9$ and having something that is easy ad awesome. But if I had a good recipe it would be worth the fun to make my own. Havent done a butt yet but would like to have own rub own sauce but not there yet.

XLBGE 
  • MemphisBBQ

I made 5 cups of rub over the weekend for about 7 bucks. Big Lots has all the main ingredients that I need.

Google is my friend, again. I found the missing ingredient. It has to be this stuff :

http://seasoninghouse.com/rubs/smoked-flavor-dry-smoke

• Browninggold
    Browninggold Posts: 453
    Memphis when you use the rub with the smoke flavor do you use with any chunks of wood like hickory? I use Hickory when I cook pork and was wondering if the smoke flavoring plus the Hickory wood would be overpowering. BTW thanks for the link to the smoke I may give that a try sometime
  • jeffcaputo
    jeffcaputo Posts: 15

I combined a parts of some rub recipes from Steve Raichlens BBQ Bilble: Rubs, Sauces, and Marinades book to make ones I like.  And the BBQ sauces are really good as well.

I think in the long run, making your own rubs is less money, but you just have to put in that investment to get a few less used spices (everyone has salt and brown sugar in their pantry but you may not have Chipotle Powder or Dried Worcestershire Powder). 

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

I used to make a lot of my own rubs, but not so much anymore. When there are companies out there who have thrown tons of money into researching and developing their rubs, can get fresher ingredients (much fresher than what I assume you can find at Big Lots), who grind their own spices and have won major competitions (as have others using their product), sometimes its easier to just pick up a shaker (not to mention a lot of my family and friends give me rubs for my birthday and Christmas).

I think Dizzy Pig gets a lot of respect here because a)they have a good product b)Chris is an Egghead, too c)they support the Egghead community and Eggfests and d)Chris is just a plain ole nice guy.

That being said, if you like to make your own rubs, that is awesome! You can control what goes into them and the taste profile. I've been toying around with the idea of starting to make my own again....I just have to clear the spice rack out of all the rubs that are currently filling it.

@MemphisBBQ - does your rub have any heat to it? Is it possible that the smokiness is coming from a chipotle chili powder?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• MemphisBBQ

Browning, it comes out fantastic. I do like smokey flavor, though. It is not overpowering to me, but it might be to others. I use chunks with that rub as well.

Jeff, so far I have not bothered with ingredients like those last two you mentioned. Maybe I should give it a try.

I plan on buying some of that powdered smoke today. Will let y'all know how it turns out.

• scottc454
    scottc454 Posts: 94
    I have a less is more attitude when it comes to this. I want to taste the food!  The rub is an overrated part of barbecue and often does more damage than good. Most of the store bought rubs have too much salt, pepper, and granulated garlic and end up covering up the smoke flavor. 

All I need is turbinado sugar, paprika, dried mustard, and a tiny bit of salt. This creates a base flavor and makes a nice bark, but doesn't try to dominate. 

If the rub has smoke flavor in it already, why not just cook the meat in the oven?

• Guess it would help to identify the smell. It is a smokey smell.

I make a LOT of butts. It is cheaper for me to make my own rub since I go through a lot of it.

Smoky smell would most likely be smoked paprika or Hungarian Paprika (might be the same thing with 2 different names- I can't tell them apart). Trade normal paprika for smoked in your rub if you are not already and that may be it.

Could also be smoked salts. They all add a very nice smoky layer to rubs and other foods.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • MemphisBBQ
    Scott, I agree with the "less is more" ideal. 

Why not do it in the oven? I have a BGE. 

Tex, good thought. I can easily get one of those rather than ordering something online. Gonna take some playing around until I find the right mixture.
  • Scott, I agree with the "less is more" ideal. 

Why not do it in the oven? I have a BGE. 

Tex, good thought. I can easily get one of those rather than ordering something online. Gonna take some playing around until I find the right mixture.
    Should be able to get both at the grocery store. Smoked Paprika for sure and smoked salts will be at most fancy/specialty grocers.
  • I think Griffin had a good idea with the chipotle chili powder too. Could be on to something there.
  • LPGator
    LPGator Posts: 10
    Memphis: that smoky smell may be chipotle pepper ( smoked jalapeño). Just a thought.
  • MemphisBBQ
    Good suggestions! I don't mind using pre-made rubs, I just take that much more pride in the cook when it is MY rub. 

• ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    I would take pride too if I could make a rub. I do not know much about mixing flavors and would probably end up just copying the ingredients off of another rub or using a recipe from the web so I just go ahead and buy them. I like several Dizzy Pig rubs and Bad Byron's. I do have much respect for those of you that know about making your own.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    if you make your own, don't try to replicate dizzy Pig.  they are too unique.  i make big batches of my own general purpose rub 9ribs, butt, etc.), but i buy dizzy pig stuff for targeted 'surgical' application :)

raging river is ridonkulous on pork and salmon.  tsunami spin, jamaican firewalk... also excellent

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I've made my own rubs for several years, then I started using Dizzy Pig products, especially Dizzy Dust and I just stopped making my own and buying the 32 oz bottles of DP.

I get the pride thing of it being MY rub, but I just don't want to fool with making them anymore.

Oh, by the way, I tell everybody that I made them
    :D
  • Rubmyrock
    Rubmyrock Posts: 266
    Eggheads are generally not cooking on a budget. Otherwise, they'd be cooking on a poor man's gasser. Spend $8 and buy some Dizzy Pig..... Yes, almost and combination of salt, cayenne, and turbinado sugar works with a butt, BUT steaks, fish, and chicken need to special something to take an already beautiful green egg produced piece of perfection to the next level. You cheap bastards... Lol. FYI, I'm vacationing in Hilton Head this week and miss the hell out of my egg... Had dinner at a low country gem tonight called "Roastfish and Cornbread" and last night we made the trip to Paula Deen's place in Savannah. Good food, good times.
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Where is Roastfish and Cornbread? Have been there a few times and haven't heard of that one.
    George
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Just checked out the web site. Looks great will give it a try next time I'm there. Always go to the Old Oyster Factory right down the street so I know exactly where it is. George
    George
  • Rubmyrock
    Rubmyrock Posts: 266
    It will not disappoint! We had blackened red grouper with collard greens, mac and cheese and sweet potato cornbread. It ran by chef David, a native geechee who like many others her still have a Gullah dialect. "dat sum fen foud der". I haven't a clue what the hell they are trying to communicate but they can cook and cook to perfection.
  • I just don't have the time now to "perfect " my rub, so my rub is Dizzy Pig. People love it and don't ask!
  • I do both. Putting DP on everything gets a little boring.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    I've done both, too. But, let me tell you, Dizzy Pig rubs are the real deal. I've made a lot of my own and loved them. But, I bought 6 bottles of various Dizzy Pig flavors a few weeks ago. You won't find much better than Raging River ( on fish and chicken), or Raising the Steaks. They're both excellent. The Curryish is great on chIcken(and I assume lamb), too. The Swamp Venom is great on chicken, pork chops and even eggs! Give them a try. You don't have to do one or the other. Mix it up. But, they are fresh and well blended, and I WILL be buying more of them.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • TTBannon
    TTBannon Posts: 14
    So I've been making my own for 2 months now, but where is the best place to buy some dp?

• Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    They sellit online, or at retailers. They list their retailers on their site. Where do you live?
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590