Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

My first real brisket

mountaindewbassmountaindewbass Posts: 1,731
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Picked up a 12lb brisket packer. Ive never cooked one up before.. Previously all my briskets were already trimmed flats.... So should i trim off the fat? Leave it on? Hoe do you cook burned ends?

Any and advice is welcome.
·

Comments

• anezanez Posts: 121
    i haven't done one yet ... maybe later this week. when i do i'm gonna follow this, from @hapster 's post from a few weeks ago. it looked so good i had to save the url. he did a modified @travisstrick method. 
    ·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,796
    Trim the HARD fat completely. Trim all the fat to about 1/4 in thickness or there a bouts. The only thing that is a must do with regard to fat is to not cut it all off. You want the fat small enough to eat but big enough to provide heavenly juiciness. 

Burnt ends are super simple. When you are done, cut the point off. Cube it up and sprinkle more rub and mix in some BBQ sauce of your choice. Place in a pan and put back on the egg for 30-60 min. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • So all hard fat comes off.. Then leave some for moisture reasons. Will i still get good bark with the fat attached? Inject or no inject?
    ·
  • Also i always cook it at 245 grate temp... Is that ok?.. I like the brisket to take about 2hr a lb
    ·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,796
    245 is ok. It will take just under 2hr per pound at that temp. If it were me, I would do about 280 grate. It produces better results. 

No inject. Your bark will be fine with a thin layer of fat over the entire brisket. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • Herm 280 you say. Eat at five on wed. So brisket goes on at 10pm..worse case it'll be wrapped for a few hours
    ·
  • TTBannonTTBannon Posts: 14
    After trimming off the point, do you shave the fat off and reseason the exposed meat area?
    ·
  • Random. But is a good rule of thumb to do the toothpick test when the thickest part gets around temp? Or the smallest part? I got probes in the thick and thinnest and its a difference of 30degrees
    ·
  • boatbumboatbum Posts: 1,273

The question of whether to trim fat is like politics.   Kinda like the question of cooking fat side up - or fat side down.  You will find so many answers which don't agree.

Personally - I take as much fat off as I can get off and cook fat side down.   Theory I have - exterior fat does not "soak" into the meat - it drains off.  It is the fat on the inside that matters.

I think you will find universal agreement on trimming the hard fat, it needs to go.

Take an approach and try it - then adjust.  Long as you cook it till its done - the fat question is a 10% question.

Just my thought.

Cookin in Texas
    ·
  • I read a post somewhere online that i liked. Fatside down to let the fat drip off. When in the cooler fat dide up to have the drip cover the meat... Tryimg that method
    ·
  • jlsmjlsm Posts: 843
    Last week I cooked a packer trimmed by my butcher (instead of me). He trimmed most of the fat off. I hesitated, but the thing looked so great I bought it. It was the moistest, tastiest brisket I've ever cooked. I've purchased all my briskets from him, so my conclusion is fat on the outside doesn't make a difference to the final product.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
    ·