Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

sous vide tri tip

Options
SinCityEgger
SinCityEgger Posts: 14
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
rubbed with cow lick, added L and P and soy sauce to the bag, 135F for 12 hours, seared 45 seconds per side with alder for smoke. reduced the residual liquid with some red wine, VERY beefy taste. turned out very good.

thanks to CTS and others for the lead on the sous vide.

hope stike and others return soon

i have a decent pic, but cant seem to attach it.

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    looks good. Glad you are enjoying your SV. You are right on the beefy taste. SV really seems to bring out the flavor in beef.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    I wish I could find tri tip where I live... Never had the chance to taste this cut.

What is your SV setup?

Did you sear the meat before or after cooking SV?

paqman said:
    I wish I could find tri tip where I live... Never had the chance to taste this cut.

What is your SV setup?

Did you sear the meat before or after cooking SV?
    i have the sous vide demi.
    seared after. i did a bone in ribeye sous vide, then shocked it (ice bath), then seared it, which i did so as not to effect more of the interior; it worked very well, i did not do that with the tri tip.

very cool option, sous vide is.

wow, newb forum poster (long time egger and "lurker") getting some feedback in less than 12 hrs? and using an i phone pic to boot. i like it.
  • paqman
    Options
    @SinCityEgger Welcome aboard!

I've heard about sous vide for the first time on this forum (I think it was from Cen-Tex) and I have no idea how I could live without it.

You should try searing directly on the coals (45-60 seconds per side) after cooking sous vide. I did this the first time with a t-bone and more recently with flank steaks and racks of pork with no impact whatsoever on internal temps and without prior cooling!

Options
    How does searing directly on coals not affect internal temps?
  • LizzieSamps
    Options
    I need to try some food that's been Sous vide cooked!  Drooling!
  • paqman
    Options

How does searing directly on coals not affect internal temps?

Good question. The sear is quick (under 60 seconds) and food cooked sous vide has lots of moisture so I guess the evaporative effect prevents raising the temps (like the stall). I guess this would be true only for fairly thick pieces of meat.

Options
    @Z_Eggineer

Quick high temperature sear + Poor meat thermal conductivity + surface water evaporation is the answer.

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/40548-science-of-the-kitchen-cooking-meat/

imageimage