Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I need a real knife

robnybbq
robnybbq Posts: 1,911
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I need a real knife for cutting meats after a cook.  I have a J.A. Henckels set (steak ad various types) that we have had for some time but the big knife is not "cutting" it anymore.

What should I look for in a good chef's knife?  Any recommendations that wont break the bank?

I just bought a dutch oven and have a have the spider/CI grate, paella pan, wok on the list as it is.

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,664
    Ginsu hanaita series chef knife, better edge retention and sharpness than any henkels and its under 70 bucks. same metal edge used in the pricier shun blades but i think the shuns have a little more weight to them
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Did you try getting it professionally sharpened?   Probably just needs a new edge.  The steel doesn't go bad, the edge does.
    I though you couldn't sharpen a Stamped egde?

Maybe I should get a sharpening rod and try that?

Garnerville, NY
  • Did you try getting it professionally sharpened?   Probably just needs a new edge.  The steel doesn't go bad, the edge does.
    What he said.  There's a guy who shows up @ the local farmer's market who has his knife sharpening stuff set up there.  You can drop your knives off to him, then go check out all the other vendors @ the market, then stop back & pick them up when you're ready to leave.  His price is $6.00/knife, which seems reasonable enough for me. 

Also, sometimes you can catch them at the mall...

Unless you're just itching to spend some $$ & buy a new knife, which is always good!!!  :D
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • nolaegghead
    You can sharpen anything that isn't serrated.  The sharpening rod (honing steel) is only useful on knives with a sharp edge - it knocks off the flashing you get from using a sharp knife to get it sharp again.  If you have a dull knife that hasn't been sharped in ages, it needs a new edge ground.
    My local William Sonoma has a guy that picks up knives on Tuesday and drops them off the next week for $8 a knife. Call around.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Do you put your knives in the dishwasher? If so, that may be the culprit. High heat will ruin the best of blades.

I would take what you have and have them pro sharpend. After that, use a honing steel regularly and hand wash. The trick to using a honing steel or any sharpner is to maintain an even angle. I hand wash my henkels and have not had to sharpen them in two years. I hone them on a steel almost every use.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • DaveM
    DaveM Posts: 100
    I own a large set of Henckels that are at least 15 years old.  There was a discussion on this a couple of weeks ago.  Per Travisstrick' recommendation, I grabbed the Apex 3 and I'm VERY happy with it.  My knives (including my scissors and serrated) are like razors.  It is making the rounds around my neighborhood and my buddies all love it, too.  

The tech support from the owner, Ben, is really thorough.  He clearly loves the product and wants everyone to be happy with it.

You need to buy it from the manufacturer.  It isn't on Amazon..

--Dave from Leesburg, VA BGE XL, Viking 42", Firepit with $16 grill
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    edited August 2012
    You know....I have been eying one of those for years now. I almost got my Dad to go in on it with me....but then I moved. Guess I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet and get one. I have a Lansky and a Spyderco, but I hear the Apex is sooo much nicer!

Which one did you get?
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583

If you have a knife that is pretty much shot, you might pick up a medium and fine grind whet stone.  I sharpen my own knives and they keep a good edge. 

I own a bunch of Shun knives, my wife gave them to me for Christmas ... I didn't open them for almost 6 months because I knew they would get ruined.  Like a moron I keep adding to the set, but so far we've lost one .. broken tips and they dull just as quick if not quicker than any other decent knife I've seen. 

Henckel makes a fine knife - I'd learn how to sharpen it and properly maintain it with the steel. 

Knife shape and specific uses can also be very helpful .. it may be time for a dedicated carving knife.  While you 'can' slice with a chef knife .. a lighter, thinner carving knife is much better. Since it is dedicated for cutting only cooked meats it also holds the edge much longer.

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    imageCheck out Russell, Forschner and Dexter.  Many professional butchers use them.  I like mine for large meat cutting jobs.  Have a couple 8" Forschners, a 12" Cozzini and a few 6" for boning.

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/victorinox-forschner/carving-slicing-knivesimage
  • robnybbq
    I always hand wash them.  The steak knives are still pretty good but the big knife is dull.  I did a flank steak last night and when cutting it across the grain is was more of ripping the steak rather than slicing.

I'll look into sharpening as I did not know they could be sharpened as they state "Never needs Resharpening".

Garnerville, NY
  • I love my Wushofs much more than my Henkles but they weren't cheap. Either should last a lifetime with proper care and maintanence.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    robnybbq said:

I always hand wash them.  The steak knives are still pretty good but the big knife is dull.  I did a flank steak last night and when cutting it across the grain is was more of ripping the steak rather than slicing.

I'll look into sharpening as I did not know they could be sharpened as they state "Never needs Resharpening".

They also say "dishwasher safe" but the are defiantly not.
  • I have this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003AECBZA/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00 sharpener and I love it. Easy as hell, use it about once every 9 months and my knives all stay razor sharp. German steel will lose its edge a little faster than Japenese steel, but will also be less inclined to chip or break. Always get a forged blade whatever you decide, and not a stamped license plate piece of junk.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Ask your local butcher what he uses. Then ask if he can get you one at his price.
    Large, Medium

Heflin, AL
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Hey, robnybbq,

You have just proved "never needs sharpening" is a, what should I call it, an "advertising slogan."

If it is an "Everedge," w. micro serrations, all the serrations would need to be ground away to make a new edge. Given that the blade was serrated to begin with, the metal is likely to be too soft to take a plain edge. I don't think it is worth keeping at this point, and is ready for the 20 cent bin at the 2nd hand store.

If you get a knife with a real knife edge, do get a honing rod. These are often called sharpening steels, but they are not. They restore the edge of a knife whose edge has been "rolled."  Even a mediocre knife's edge can be straightened by steeling. I have a bunch of old Chicago Cutlery knives, and some Dexters, that benefit from a steeling at every use. They still need to be resharpened.

But a good knife, and Henckels does make some pretty good knives, will stay sharp with steeling for quite awhile. Maybe years w. just home use. They still will need to be sharpened. The edge does wear away, and can get small chips from running into bones, or glass cutting boards.

The ginsu knife fishlessman recommended has all the right attributes for a good knife. In fact, the price is quite low for what it offers. The Victrorinox Forschner Filbrox chef knife is down right cheap for its performance.

A good knife should be a pleasure to use, and reward you with its use. I find easy and fine cutting to be a pleasure by itself. If it helps make a good meal, all the better.

• I have Messermeister, Wustoff, and Forschner Fibrox chef knives and I love the weight of the Messermeister. I have a traveling set of Forschners and love them all. They are easy to keep sharp, and even though they are all stamped rather than forged, I find myself using them over the forged knives quite often. Equally important is the fact that I have a cimeter, chef, and boning knife together for the price of the Messermeister chef knife.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    imageCheck out Russell, Forschner and Dexter.  Many professional butchers use them.  I like mine for large meat cutting jobs.  Have a couple 8" Forschners, a 12" Cozzini and a few 6" for boning.

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/victorinox-forschner/carving-slicing-knivesimage
    Looks like Richard bought the "Hannibel Lecter" Collection.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Without a doubt, try getting one sharpened before buying something new. I often sharpen my own woodworking tools and when our J.A. Henckels slicer knife didn't seem to want to slice, I tried to sharpen it. It was much better but still not perfect. Took to a local shoe maker who also does sharpening, it is once again like new. Run the steel over it evry now and then, it is great. Now if I can only convince the boss to quit cutting her sandwiches on a plate with it.......
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • robnybbq
    Unfortunately the knives set is Everedge Micro Serated blade.

"Everedge Plus knives feature a micro-serrated edge that never needs sharpening. Different serration by knife style. The stamped blade is made of stainless steel with a polished satin finish. The handle is made of contoured santoprene and brushed stainless steel for an elegant look and comfortable grip."

Time to go shopping.

Garnerville, NY
  • nolaegghead
    robnybbq said:
    Unfortunately the knives set is Everedge Micro Serated blade.

"Everedge Plus knives feature a micro-serrated edge that never needs sharpening. Different serration by knife style. The stamped blade is made of stainless steel with a polished satin finish. The handle is made of contoured santoprene and brushed stainless steel for an elegant look and comfortable grip."

Time to go shopping.
    Yep.  Not worth grinding the serrations off. 

Try Tuesday Morning - SWMBO found a basic Wustof Classic set (steel, 2 chefs knives, pairing knife and I think bread knife or santoku) for about $100 off.  We've added to it through the years and added a big Shun, but they're used the most.
    That changes everything. I would throw them away and start over. 

Here is a good thread to help with the new shopping. The one that Village Idiot recommends is on my short list of must buys.
  • robnybbq
    That changes everything. I would throw them away and start over. 

Here is a good thread to help with the new shopping. The one that Village Idiot recommends is on my short list of must buys.

What thread?

Garnerville, NY
  • nolaegghead
    Can I haz thread?!
    I have had my set of Henckels for over 40 years and they are still fine, I just have them tuned up now and then by a pro, and use the stell on them  before I use them.
  • nolaegghead
    Thankee Sai!
    Ok....in the other thread, there is a link to this knife:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/toitkshwa21.html

I'm not worried about carbon steel, I'll be the only one using it....so I know it'll be wiped off after use.

Looks like a pretty good knife, and gets some really good reviews.

Anybody have a link for the Ginsu hanaita series chef knife that fishlessman mentioned above?
  • I have a big Global chef's knife and a Kyocera black camic santuko knife. Both are razors.