Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whats everyone cooking today

2»

Comments

• GrantM
    GrantM Posts: 3

Started a brisket flat at 11am.  This is my first try.  Plan on cooking for around 6 hours. We'll see how it goes.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    babybacks going on in about an hour....nom nom nom
    Well, I've got two racks of nearly 4lbs each on now. First babyback attempt on the bge. No plate setter. No water pan. Paprika based rub with light brown sugar, ground mustard, kosher salt, black pepper, chili power, and cayenne. Soaked apple wood and 275 dome. Been on about 1.5 hrs.
    I plan on wrapping them after 2 1/2 hours with a little beer then letting the go another hour. Unwrap and slather with Sweet Baby Rays then carmelize for 15-20.

Any suggestions for best results using the direct heat method I am using would be appreciated.

Happy Egging!!!
  • Pork chops baked potatoes and asparagus and several Sam Adams Octoberfest
    Life is short,love what you do or do something else
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    @defCon5-Size BGE?...I'm in the X-0-0 camp but run indirect.  Will be checking this one to see how the direct cook works out.  Given many do turbo ribs I suspect you will have a great result.  Let us know-key to any rib cook is "when are they finished??" Bend or toothpick test are your best indicators.  Bend-pick up by one end and if they bend around 90* then finished-my preference-the toothpick-insert into the thickest meat of the rib and when you get no resistance in or out-good to go.  Enjoy!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • defCon5
    defCon5 Posts: 16

a 9 lb  pork butt went on at 10 pm last night. egg held at 235 thru the night. smells so good the neighbors are coming out .Until now I have always used BGE lump but I got a bag of wicked good lump and so far I really like it.

I've been using Royal Oak for nearly 10 years (well before my wife bought me the lbge) and it has always served me VERY well. $6.80 for 8.8 lb bag.
    Very consistent temps I've found.
  • defCon5

@lousubcap Thanks for the info! I just walked out to check the some temp and found the wind had picked up blowing directly into my bottom vent causing a 40* F rise in temp. Had to make a. Couple of small adjustments to settle this back down to spec.
  • defCon5
    defCon5 said:

@lousubcap Thanks for the info! I just walked out to check the some temp and found the wind had picked up blowing directly into my bottom vent causing a 40* F rise in temp. Had to make a. Couple of small adjustments to settle this back down to spec.

Large.

• HBmoai
    HBmoai Posts: 11
    8 split chicken breast , marinaded in pineapple and lime juice with a pinch of kosher salt, black pepper, oregano, chopped chilies, 6 cloves of garlic and some garlic cooking oil. By the time I get back from the beach it should belready to go on a raised direct grill. Some tortillas and salsa and I should be a happy camper tonight
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    My last turbo butt I never foiled at 160* although @Hi54putty recommended to me so I thought I would foil today. I was second guessing a little because I still had some wonderful smoke rolling off my cherry chunks. I added 1cup of apple juice and 1 cup of coke to my butt when I foiled.
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    Had some hot dogs from Karl's Sausage Kitchen for lunch today....have some lamb chops marinating in olive oil, rosemary, garlic, salt & pepper for dinner.
  • lousubcap
    Not so fast here- 6 hours in-185*F  in the butt-( see earlier post here) now at 191*F 3+ hours on.  Mother nature, butts and brisket (and SWMBO's:))-no logic-have a great evening!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Brownie
    lousubcap said:
    Not so fast here- 6 hours in-185*F  in the butt-( see earlier post here) now at 191*F 3+ hours on.  Mother nature, butts and brisket (and SWMBO's:))-no logic-have a great evening!
    Is this the overcast part of your journey?  :))
  • lousubcap
    Approaching that point but I've gotta get this hunk across the finish-line first.  Then...
  • Brownie
    Just removed my butt. I did 300 grid till 160* internal. foiled with beverages and bumped to 375* dome. 8 hours total. Not bad for a lazy sunday.
  • Outcast
    Outcast Posts: 112
    Made some braised boneless short ribs.  Rubbed them with swamp venom, seared then braised them in a beef broth. That's for tomorrow night.  Tonight's grub is Salisbury steak and gravy, with smashed potatoes from an Americas Test Kitchen recipe.   Sorry no pics....I need to get better about that.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Interested to see what you think. Did you add liquid to the foil pack? Haven't tried that. If so, it will probably turn your bark soft but may taste amazing. Let us know.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Chicken, shrimp, octopus and chorizo paella!  It was great.

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • lousubcap
    lakewade said:
    Chicken, shrimp, octopus and chorizo paella!  It was great.

No paella skills here so I follow the naked whiz tutorial/recipe and get good results.  Looking to expand my horizons-any pearls of Texas wisdom-or should I just grab a glass of bourbon and fiend for myself-or rely on your side-kick Cen-Tex.... :)>-
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Best paella in the civilized world, El Siboney in Key West. They are Cuban ex pats, nuff said.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Brownie
    Hi54putty said:
    Interested to see what you think. Did you add liquid to the foil pack? Haven't tried that. If so, it will probably turn your bark soft but may taste amazing. Let us know.
    I used a rub I have never tried before (smokin guns bbq mild) so I went light on it. Even before I foiled i didn't have much bark. The liquid doubled in volume from 160 to finish, the bark was tiny but tasted way better than no foil from my july fourth turbo comparison. It really tasted good with tons of flavor and filled with moisture, and I put a little of the pan drippings in the foodsaver bags for added moistness when reheating.

I guess I'll have to try another turbo without added liquid at the 160 foil to see what else I'm missing. The good news is I haven't found a bad way to smoke a butt on the egg.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    That looks great and you got some nice smoke on it. I do turbo butts about half the time and it's great to know I have that in my pocket for when I need it. How many hours per pound?
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • 2 inch thick cut pork blade chops.  Cooked low and slow.  Pulled when Thermapen went in smooth and without resistance, not temp.  Cross between tender steak and almost pulled pork.  Very tasty.
    Did kale chips, they never made it to the table, almost didn't make the picture.
    Both are a keeper.  Will make great sandwiches for tomorrow.
    on the small
    ready to pull
    kale chips
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Brownie
    Austin egghead. Nice looking blades!
    Hi54putty said:
    That looks great and you got some nice smoke on it. I do turbo butts about half the time and it's great to know I have that in my pocket for when I need it. How many hours per pound?
    I filled the lump up to the top of the fire ring this time to try and not burn all my cherry chunks at once and I think it worked cause like I said I had her still chuffing past the 160 mark.

My butt weighed in at 10.5lb for an 8hr cook. But like I said I had the temp a little lower at 300 grid till I foiled. I think I could easily shave over an hour off the time if I kept it at 350-375 dome the full cook.
  • sjg34
    sjg34 Posts: 22
    cooked my first meatloaf today
  • Brownie
    sjg34 said:
    cooked my first meatloaf today
    meatloaf is great!
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    lousubcap said:

No paella skills here so I follow the naked whiz tutorial/recipe and get good results.  Looking to expand my horizons-any pearls of Texas wisdom-or should I just grab a glass of bourbon and fiend for myself-or rely on your side-kick Cen-Tex.... :)>-
    Hey lousubcap!  No pearls here...this was my first time and I followed Raichlen's recipe for the most part (http://www.bbqu.net/season4/407_4.html).  Now that I got the hang of it I plan to do it again, but customized.  I will be sure and post that when it happens.  Have a good one.

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • lousubcap
    @lakewade-thanks for the link.  I'll have to give it a go next time but easy on the sea-food.  SWMBO not big on most of those ingredients.  Paella-labor intensive but dang tasty!