Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Smoked Cheese

OnegrecookOnegrecook Posts: 121
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I smoked some cheese tonight using the method in the Naked Whiz website. It doesn't taste very good right after it's finished. I placed it in a ziplock bag and put it in the fridge. Will the flavor improve after a couple days?
·

Comments

• smaschsmasch Posts: 115
    I usually chill 24 hours after the cook.  It settles in.  I use the Southern Living BBQ Cookbook recipe and it works well.  
    Owner of LBGE, Antique Komodo Green in Color. Proud Career Firefighter. Johns Creek / South Forsyth GA
    ·
  • OnegrecookOnegrecook Posts: 121
    Thank you. Can that recipe be found online, or do you have to have the book?
    ·
  • egretegret Posts: 4,029
    Leave it in the refrigerator for a few days and it'll be fine. I refrigerate mine overnight, then vacuum seal it for a few days. What kind of wood did you use?
    ·
  • I always let mine set in the frisge for a week.  It takes a while for that smoke flavor to penetrate that cheese.  Compare the structure of the cheese to that of meat and should make sense why.
    ·
  • OnegrecookOnegrecook Posts: 121
    @egret I used apple. Is there a different wood you would recommend?

Thanks all for your help.
    ·
  • tjvtjv Posts: 3,300
    the longer it sits, the milder it gets.  When sampling, ya need to slice couple slices as end cap has more surface area, thus more smoke.  I typically smoke with pecan under. Cold smoking is easier to do in the winter, colder outside temps let you manage cold smoke temps easier.  

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
    ·