Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp Help

Options
gte1
gte1 Posts: 379
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Got 2 turkey breasts on, went for indirect shooting for 375. BGE thermometer shows just over 350 and maverick which I have down the chimney hovering just above the food is at 410. Whats up? Did pork roast last night same method and the read fairly close.
George

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Probably need to calibrate your dome thermo.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options

Classic case of thermo info at different places in the BGE-one is in the hot air stream and the other in a different place. I would suggest calibrating your thermos so you can trust the data and then place them where you want. Decide which number to run by-and go with that. You can get axle-wrapped by too much temperature info driving the cook.  Just an opinion and we all know what those are worth-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • gte1
    Options
    Just calibrated both, maverick showed 214 in boiling water. Dome thermometer read 200. Adjusted accordingly, that made up for about half the difference.
    George
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Hi54putty said:
    Probably need to calibrate your dome thermo.
    wouldn't hurt, but not if it read OK the night before, do you think? 
    Was it at the same time in the cook? Similar amounts of lump? Same type of Lump, new load or leftovers? I see a difference of maybe 20 to 50 degrees, depending on how long the egg has been stabilized, that is 10-20 degree difference after 2 or 3 hours, yet 50 degrees after 30 minutes. Let us know if you solve the mystery. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • gte1
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Now about 15 degrees, no problem with that. Thanks for the help. Turkey breasts look good!! Both breasts at 137 cooking dead evenly.
    George