Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small BGE Question

Options
ChadH
ChadH Posts: 10
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum

Can you smoke a pork butt on a Small Egg? 

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Yes. I have done an 8lb and 10lb butt. Separately of course. Only problem is I had to adjust the depth of the dome thermometer. Added a wine cork between the thermo and dome. Also, didn't have to add charcoal either time. That was a pleasant surprise.

Works great. Good luck.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited August 2012
    Options
    ChadH said:

Can you smoke a pork butt on a Small Egg? 

Nah, not possible :P

or maybe you can!  10# Shoulder
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options

Well, that about sums it up.

Lookin' good cazzy.

:@)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• ChadH
    ChadH Posts: 10
    Options
    Thanks for the input.  I already have a LBGE, but would like to possibly get a Small for hunting/fishing trips and possibly tailgating.
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    @ChadH. Get the small, you will love it. ;) I have a large and a small. We take the small with us on camping trips. Hardly even use the stove in the RV. Everything is usually done on the small while camping. It is easy to pack up and haul around. Give it some serious thought.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I have a LBGE and I just picked up a small yesterday at the Indy EggFest for the purpose of picnics, camping and visiting my Mom.  I just came back from Mom's and I learned some things.  I cooked under tailgaiting conditions (minus the copious amounts of booze) and decided it's better to start earlier than usual.  Also, the shut down procedure is different.  I bought a metal pail with locking lid and removed the charcoal after use, cleaned out the ash/embers, removed all internal components, cleaned the remaining ash/embers and kept the lid wide open to let the egg cool down.  After a while, I was able to put the Egg back together using shims and load up the van.  SUCCESS!
    Flint, Michigan