Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dizzy Pig wing recipe

Options
AleBrewer
AleBrewer Posts: 555
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Has anybody used this recipe from the DP site?

http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesWings.html

If so, how did they turn out. Did you use any sauce on them? and lastly....what DP rub did you use?

Thanks...

Comments

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    I haven't but I'm sure it would taste good. If you decide to try it, make sure your exhaust passes the sniff test because breaded foods will pick up unwanted flavors. Give it a try and let us know what your thoughts are.
  • Outlaw77
    Outlaw77 Posts: 71
    Options
    I've done it a few times and they turned out good. I used dd and sauced them once with bone sucking sauce. The other times I just ate them naked :P
  • AleBrewer
    Options
    I'm thinking of trying these tomorrow....will probably use DD and maybe hit them with some Franks and butter.
  • JerkChicken
    Options
    Looks good. Let us know how it turns out!
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • AleBrewer
    Options
    Looks good. Let us know how it turns out!
    Will do....
  • Brownie
    Options
    Last weekend I did DD on bare chicken wings and sauced with franks and butter. The sweetness of DD really offset the franks. So go easy on the butter if you enjoy your wings hot.
  • AleBrewer
    Options
    Thanks Brownie......there was I time that I liked everything hot....not so much anymore :(
  • Brownie
    Options
    AleBrewer said:
    Thanks Brownie......there was I time that I liked everything hot....not so much anymore :(
    With the combination of DD and chicken wings on the egg... Who needs hot? I'm sure they will turn out great!
  • AleBrewer
    Options
    I'm shootin for medium.....I may do some without any sauce as well

• AleBrewer
    Options
    OK...the results are in.............and this is a winner!

I'll start off by saying that I am Buffalo born and raised(lived there 40yrs) so I take wings pretty seriously. These are the best non deep fried wings I have ever had! I followed the recipe pretty much to the T. The only change I made was to substitute coconut milk....my wife doesn't eat dairy...so no milk in the house. I used raging river in the breading.

Did these indirect at about 325° dome for almost 2hrs. I brushed some Franks & butter on the wings at the end. I let them cook for another 15-20 min after saucing them. The breading stayed pretty crispy.

The main players:

On to the Egg after sittin in the fridge for an hour:

After almost 2hrs at 325° indirect:

After being brushed with hot sauce & butter:

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    I concur and great job on the pics.  These were the first wings I made.  Taste dang near deep fried.

I used Dizzy Dust and a sweet bbq sauce.
  • AleBrewer
    Options
    Thanks Dugan....the taste was pert near deep fried!  Looking forward to doing these again.
  • Brownie
    Options
    Wow! Looks great. I just picked up Tsunami, and shaking the tree today. Maybe I should have got the raging river instead. BTW they had a great deal going on a large and I was very tempted, But I'm trying to decide on mini or small.
  • AleBrewer
    Options
    Wow.....great deal on the Large! I would have had a hard time not buying one! I have pretty much decided on a small....I think the mini is ok, but a small is more versatile.

Shakin the Tree is a great rub too.....I don't think you will be sorry.
  • Brownie
    Options
    I think I agree about the small.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Nice post and wings. Thanks for posting

XLBGE 
  • scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257
    Options

I use either Tsunami Spin or Jamaican Firewalk. For sauces I used to use Franks, butter and a little honey (seems to stick a little better with the honey). Since I've found Sweet Baby Rays Buffalo Wing Sauce I haven't used the Franks style. The Rays sauce is great right from the bottle. Another sauce I've found to be a crowd pleaser is two parts Heinz 57, one part honey. That's a good start and you can taste and tweek. Sometimes I add a little hot sauce to that. I've used the Heinz recipe for years on all pieces of chicken. BTW, Heinz now bottles a version of that recipe.

Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • Ellis
    Ellis Posts: 195
    Options
    Great post & pics, just placed an order for the Tsunami Spin & Shaking the Tree, hope it comes for the weekend I need to try the wings. Thanks for the post.
  • KingRover
    KingRover Posts: 115
    Options
    @alebrewer - looks great, thanks for the walk-through and pics!
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    Thanks for the post and pics. Appreciate all the other comments as well. Its threads like this that does me in. Went to their site and ordered up ALL the rubs I do not have and have not tried including the new -ish ones. :) And another bottle of the DD as well. Raising the steaks is so so so good on a prime ribeye, trex way done to medium rare. I know, a wing thread. :)

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Salty Hogs BBQ
    Options
    Thanks for the link and post.  I want try these this weekend.
  • calracefan
    Options
    Just tried this recipe with Jamaican Firewalk and they turned out great, crispy on outside still moist on the inside. Followed the recipe as it was written other than the rub, used Frank's Wing Sauce.Had 36 wing pieces on my LBGE, grid was full, sorry no pics trying to beat rain that we desperately need.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO