Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
National BBQ Month sure was tasty! We hope you got to try just as many new BBQ recipes as we did and some old favorites as well. If not, you can find all our BBQ recipes here and try them out all summer long. One of our favorites was Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise and Ted Reader’s Rum Injected Sweet Potatoes. As the weather’s heating up, use your EGG for a cool treat-Ice Cream Sandwiches! Keep an eye out for some Father’s Day recipes from chefs & their dads, coming soon!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

B&B Hickory Lump

bbrawlerbbrawler Posts: 23
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Anyone tried the B&B Hickory Lump (Green Bag) from Academy Sports and Outdoors?? I've got a bag and it looks real glossy. Anyone with experience with it?
·

Comments

• Outlaw77Outlaw77 Posts: 71
    I use it all the time. I like it but It sparks more than RO if that matters to you.
    ·
  • smaschsmasch Posts: 115
    Snap, crackle, pop......On start up.  Burns hot and long.  Price is right.      Green bag has a slightly different aroma than the red bag.  
    Owner of LBGE, Antique Komodo Green in Color. Proud Career Firefighter. Johns Creek / South Forsyth GA
    ·
  • GreenhawKGreenhawK Posts: 398
    I haven't used the Hickory, but I have used the Oak with great success.  I believe that it's as good as anything I've used.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
    ·
  • bbrawlerbbrawler Posts: 23
    I used it tonight with 2 Spatchcocked chickens. Just as good as BGE lump or RO. Price is solid, will definitely purchase more.
    ·
  • HashmakerHashmaker Posts: 149
    I have used the oak(green bag) and hickory(tan bag). Both bags had a lot of large pieces and burned well. I used the oak with pecan chunks on a butt and the hickory with apple chunks on a brisket. $12.99 a bag at Academy.
    ·
  • ratcheerratcheer Posts: 189
    I am finishing up my first 20 lb bag of it. I like it well enough that I have bought another bag.

Yes, it sparks horribly if I use a chimney starter, so I just start it in the fire pot and it's not a problem at all.

Tim
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,055
    Yep, sparks when starting, but otherwise, it's been good. 

·