Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another Gasket Question

Options
Onegrecook
Onegrecook Posts: 121
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to replace my gasket today with the high-heat, self adhesive replacement from BGE. I know I've seen several posts suggesting to use Acetone to help clean the old adhesive off. Does it seep into the ceramic, or cause problems? Don't want to screw it up.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Never had any issues-it's very volitile so I wouldn't worry.  Just make sure the surfaces are clean and dry then go for it. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Onegrecook
    Onegrecook Posts: 121
    Options
  • smasch
    smasch Posts: 115
    Options
    I sanded with electric sander and 120 grit, cleaned with rubbing alcohol and used gold permatex.  Applied the high heat gasket and it has been wonderful.  
    Owner of LBGE, Antique Komodo Green in Color. Proud Career Firefighter. Johns Creek / South Forsyth GA
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Used a small paint brush, just painted the acetone on, then a razor scraper. Came off quite nicely. My first replacement, also my only, the egg was slightly warm, everything came off very easy - not sure if the heat helped or not. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!