Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Guten Tag

Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum

Just wanted to pop in real quick and say we are having a blast in Germany. Taking lots of pictures, drinking lots or beers and eating tons of sausage

Mrs. G at Romerburg Plaza

Mmmmm....beer

Nurnberger Bratwurst

Jager-schnitzel and spaetzel

Auf Wiedersehen.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    looks like good food and drink and lots of fun enjoy 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Nice. Looks like good and tasty times
    Boom
  • ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    Looks like a blast. Have a good time and don't drink too much of that beer, ha.
  • lilwooty
    lilwooty Posts: 215
    Oh man! Kulmbacher beer. One of Germany's best. I haven't had a Kulmbacher in almost 20 years. We used to have a Liquor Barn here locally that would stock it in little mini kegs. Just perfect for a little get together. Man I miss that stuff.

Living Large and XL

• Have you tried Apfelwein yet? Takes a little getting used to, but worth it!
    Mamaroneck
  • 10Driver
    10Driver Posts: 88
    My wife passed out after drinking most of a bottle of Apfelwein about 10 years ago. She still won't touch the stuff. It was fun while it lasted though.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    ausgezeichnet, mein freund.  very jealous.
    Germany is a wonderful place.  Partial to Bavaria myself. 

enjoy it.

try some westphalian ham. everyone says you can't smoke with soft woods.  the westphalian is smoked over green juniper branches.  and it's fantastic.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    When we lived in Heidelberg, my mom's best friend would buy us a giant Schwarzwälder Schinken every holiday.  Sounds similar to what you're talking about Stike.  Unbelievably good.
    edited August 2012
    i posted a link a few days ago to this place that used to be a mile from my house, but which moved and is now (DAMN!) three miles from my house.  Karl's, in saugus (now peabody) mass.

i went in to get some weisswurst (they make all their own german sausage), and i checked their case.  they had no fewer than five different types of german hams. westphalian was one, and i haven't seen it anywhere else before or since. 

Karl's actually gave me about a quarter pound of pink salts for the very first time i ever cured anything.  gratis, too.  we were talking, and i mentioned my interest. guy asked a few questions, to make sure i wasn't going to use the stuff on french fries maybe, and came back with a container.

but yeah, back to the subject at hand. german hams.... under the radar, man.  iberian hams, italian prosciutto, and virginia hams... they get all the love.  but the germans have some fantastic stuff themselves.

man.  very jealous.  beautiful time of year there too. august/september.  ausgezeichnet...
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I would pay twice as much for Schwarzwälder Schinken over a prosciutto any day of the week.  It's been over 20 years since I've had one but I'd describe it as a spicy, slightly more moist, smoked prosciutto, with an unmistakable giniper berry edge.  Damn you man, you got me thinking about them.  (research research research). 

My cold smoker is done.  Just need to put in the grates and a make a drip pan and see if the damn thing works. (hmmmm, maybe I could attemp
    Schwarzwälder Schinken)
    @stike.....I missed the link you posted, but a buddy of mine has been telling me to get to Karls for almost four years now. He used to make frequent trips there.

Hoping to get there soon...and to Joe Pace's too.

Might actually try to make it this weekend.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited August 2012
    Pace's is ok. A little overpriced. But karl's is the real deal Nola: the germans use (i think) sugar in the cure. Salt is all you need, but salt will dry the ham (one of the things that allows prosciutto and country ham to hang for a couple years. It stifles bacteria). But sugar will retain water. It's actually more hygroscopic than salt. So sugar was added to ham cures in order to counter the drying/sharpness of the salt. Not for sweetness' sake nso the german hams remain more moist. They might also be brine cured too. That of course retains (might even add) water
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Have you tried Apfelwein yet? Takes a little getting used to, but worth it!

Had some yesterday. Both the sweet one and the watered down one (I think) Not bad, but I'll stick to the beers. In a moment of weakness, I also ordered a bourbon and coke. Won't do that again, just tastes funny since the coke is different here.

Stumbled upon the Museum Superfest yestrerday. Huge fest going on both sides of the Main river. Had a great time walking it, taking in the view, sampling foods and listening to live bands. Good times. I'll start another post for that and all the different grills I saw going. No Eggs, though.

:(

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Dammit Stike. Driving to Maine next week and now I have to explain to the family that we need to stop in Peabody along the way. Thanks for making my vacation more challenging.
    Mamaroneck
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    @Mama...funny you mentioned Apflewein....I made some last year, bottled it in 12oz beer bottles. Had two bottles yesterday while cooking our dinner....good stuff!

Griffin....hope you are having a great time!
  • Griffin, beautiful pictures. The other half almost licked the screen. The loss of monthly trips to Germany it the only thing he misses now the he has retired. I and the entire neighborhood miss the great chocolates he would bring home.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx