Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jalepeno corn bread, trying to expand beyond pizza.

Options
Budgeezer
Budgeezer Posts: 669
edited August 2012 in Baking
First attempt @ baking something other than pizza. I was hoping that the top would have brown a little more. Heat cast iron with shortening to 425 then add batter and bake for 25 minutes.
Edina, MN

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    @Budgeezer I'm interested to know your batter recipe

Options
    1cup flour
    1 cup cornmeal
    1/3 cup sugar
    1T baking powder
    1tsp salt
    Sift together
    add 1cup milk
    1beaten egg
    1/4 cup melted butter
    1/2 cup drained and diced jalapeno
    pour into hot cast iron skillet and bake 25 minutes or until brown
    Edina, MN

• Howdy_Doody
    Options
    Mine's pretty much the same, except I use buttermilk instead of milk (makes it lighter), and 2 eggs instead of 1.  Also, I add an 11 oz. can of whole kernel corn and a cup of Monterrey Jack cheese.
    Dripping Springs, Texas
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Thanks, I don't have buttermilk and could not find any at the grocery stores in the area.

Mine's pretty much the same, except I use buttermilk instead of milk (makes it lighter), and 2 eggs instead of 1.  Also, I add an 11 oz. can of whole kernel corn and a cup of Monterrey Jack cheese.
    That is a beautiful cornbread!

1large BGE and 1 well used mini BGE living in coastal South and North Carolina!
  • 2SCdoodlegg
    Options

Budgeezer said:
    First attempt @ baking something other than pizza. I was hoping that the top would have brown a little more. Heat cast iron with shortening to 425 then add batter and bake for 25 minutes.

I want to try this out.  It looks great!

1large BGE and 1 well used mini BGE living in coastal South and North Carolina!
  • BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    Options
    Bud, What size is the cast iron?
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • Budgeezer
    Options
    paqman said:

Thanks, I don't have buttermilk and could not find any at the grocery stores in the area.

You can make your own buttermilk by adding.one teaspoon of white vinegar to one cup of milk.
    Edina, MN

• Budgeezer
    Options

Bud,

What size is the cast iron?

8 quart.
    Edina, MN