Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Moink Ball Suggestion

Options
EddieK76
EddieK76 Posts: 416
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Never made these before but we are having a block party so I figured what an easy appetizer to make for everyone.   What kind of rub should I use on them?

I have 
Dizzy Pig (DP) all purpose
DP Raising the steaks
DP Red Eye Express
DP Cow Lick
DP Shakin the Tree
DP Pineapple Head

Thoughts fellow eggers?  

Also, about how long should I smoke these for?  What wood should I use?  I have Maple on hand but can run out and get something different....

Thanks all!
Large BGE

Comments

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    MOINK Balls, not Moink.

I cooked them at an Eggfest last Saturday and used Dizzy Dust and a sweet bbq sauce and they were great.

The meatballs are cooked, so you just smoke them at about 250-275 indirect until the bacon crisps up the way you want it.

I used apple.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Assuming you are using frozen meatballs, then as Duganboy pointed out they have been cooked already and you're just cooking the bacon to your liking.

As for the rub, you're dusting mostly the bacon so IMO a rub that favors pork would be good. Of the rubs you've listed I'd go with the Dizzy Pig all purpose.

I cook them indirect at around 280 over fruit wood (usually cherry or apple) for about 75-85 mins (bacon crisps) dip in BBQ sauce & return to the Egg for 5-10 mins for the sauce to set.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • EddieK76
    Options
    Thanks all!  I was thinking the AP :)  Any how I should thaw the frozen meatballs first, right?
    Large BGE

• BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    Options
    You probably need to thaw in order to get the toothpicks through them. I just usually let them sit out for a while.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • EddieK76
    Options
    Thanks Bob!
    Large BGE

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    R2Egg2Q said:
    Assuming you are using frozen meatballs, then as Duganboy pointed out they have been cooked already and you're just cooking the bacon to your liking. As for the rub, you're dusting mostly the bacon so IMO a rub that favors pork would be good. Of the rubs you've listed I'd go with the Dizzy Pig all purpose. I cook them indirect at around 280 over fruit wood (usually cherry or apple) for about 75-85 mins (bacon crisps) dip in BBQ sauce & return to the Egg for 5-10 mins for the sauce to set.
    Yep that is the perfect formula right there.