Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Famous daves.

2»

Comments

• Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,562
    edited August 2012
    This is nonsense. Since when is it a bad thing for a business to make a product that consumers want to buy? I don't understand why that makes them terrible or a "heartless corporation" with "mindless workers." What a joke. I have never been there but I imagine that it started as a small business and was so successful that now it is a big chain. Good for them. Don't eat there if you don't like it but no need to bash a company because they found a formula for success. Big business does not necessarily equate to bad business, regardless of what the media and some politicians would like you to believe. @inkyon Where do you buy your gasoline? Do you have a little "mom and pop" oil shop refining it in small batches?
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
    ·
    Don't know why that last post is all one paragraph. Oh well.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
    ·
  • inkyon said:
    Big Dave's is just a commercial restaurant that have the mindless workers who want to be paid

The Horror, The Horror.  :))
    ·
  • During the winter my family went to Famous Dave's 3 weekends in a row. Was having Barbecue withdraws. The last visit they no longer gave the homemade potato chips out so you can try there sauces and cornbread was a side and not complimentary with the meal. We all like Famous Rogers' ribs and rub much better along with his great Beans. Nothing better than a Que when people say its better than any restaurant.
    ·
  • Mighty_QuinnMighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Famous Dave's rub is extremely salty for my tastes. The only thing worth getting there is the bbq'd shrimp.
    ·
  • ratcheerratcheer Posts: 189
    I have never hear of Famous Dave's. Where is it?

Tim
    ·
  • Mighty_QuinnMighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    I'm in Colorado and it's a chain here....I'm sure it's more national than CO though.
    ·
  • @mountaindewbass to answer your original question... How does Famous Dave do it

I think they start their ribs in an oven. That way they can par cook and stay ahead. You could never do ribs, and brisket, and pork and and and etc at volume without it
    Rub ribs (I bet FD uses a little MSG in their rub, you can buy at asian grocery)
    Wrap in foil. Put in oven at 300 for a couple hours.  They will then hold indefinitely like this, when its almost time to eat, remove from foil, baste with sauce, put them on the egg at 250 to finish.

On another note, maybe everyone could weigh in on the McRib sometime?
    ·
  • Most them chain like storescook there food in a big kitchen an ship the food to the restaraunts in bags where they heat it up again in hot water.

That way the food is the same from place to place.

Also, mom says hi
    Dave Montgomery at Wheeling West Virgina
    ·
  • HI BG dave's Mom
    ·
  • GaryLangeGaryLange Posts: 272
    Famous Dave’s Awarded Top Honors by Kansas City BBQ Society Judges and Voted People’s Choice at the Largest BBQ Competition on the East Coast
    ·
  • troutgeektroutgeek Posts: 455
    GaryLange said:

Famous Dave’s Awarded Top Honors by Kansas City
    BBQ Society Judges and Voted People’s Choice at the Largest BBQ
    Competition on the East Coast

Pretty good for a Minnesota guy, who started his first FD restaurant in northern Wisconsin.
    Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber 22.5" One-Touch - Weber Smokey Joe
    ·
    They were probably mindless judges just looking to cash a check. Had they known it was from a chain restaurant (out to make a profit at that) I'm sure it would have been disqualified.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
    ·
  • BaysidebobBaysidebob Posts: 489
    My appologies for the length.  The whole "chain restaurant" thing gets to me.If Mountaindewbass had a good time that’s great. There is something to be said about chain restaurants: They have set procedures to avoid, or prevail against, lawsuits. Eating in one won’t kill you the same night. The salt, sugar and portions will kill you over the long run. Then there are the owner operated stores. If I can’t watch them cook I’m suspicious. Even if I watch them cook I don’t know how long that meat has been sitting around. When I was on patrol I answered many alarm calls at celebrated local eateries. When we turned on the lights it was often something out of a horror movie. We now do our on tappanyaki, shabu shabu, wok dishes including Chinese,Korean and Indian recipes. We still go out for sushi. There are no secrets at the shushi bar. We also go out for Ethiopian even though I have a screamin’ bari-bari rub. And Indian as well as dim sum because other than a few wok recipes it gets so complicated. Wife loves to cook so I’m blessed with my own sou-chef and prep-girl. I just ate a bowl of left-over fried rice I did on the BGE yesterday. If I owned a restaurant would collect rice off plates to fry for the next customer? Budgets get tight, kids to feed, bills to pay, people take shortcuts. So it’s home-cooked now for the most part. On a personal level the BGE gave us a point of collaboration that I suppose is not common. Chain joints? Enjoy! We’ll pass.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,019
    edited August 2012

·
  • Im also a big fan of olive garden, red lobster, cheesecake factory, and chipotle. Mmmmhmmm
    ·
  • Famous Dave's is like Armadillo Willy's, Tony Roma's, Dickey's Rib Pit, or any other "chain" BBQ joint.  It's good for what it is.  I've eaten at all of the above (actually go to Armadillo's once/month or so w/ a co-worker for lunch).  

Nothing wrong w/ them.  And the whole "soulless corporate" stuff sounds like something you'd hear at an occu-pee rally (right before they defecated in the streets as they are lamenting corporatism & capitalism while posting from their Iphones & Ipads).  

Can we make most things better on the Egg?  Sure.  But that doesn't mean something like a Famous Dave's won't do in a pinch if you're out & you've got a craving for some BBQ.  It is what it is.  

P.S.  MountainDewBass - I like getting breadsticks & dipping them in alfredo sauce @ Olive Garden, and we'll go to the Cheesecake Factory just to pick up a cake for a dessert.  Now, Red Lobster & Chipotle, OTOH - I think there's just WAAAAY too many "better" seafood & Mexican places in the Bay Area to go to than those places... but, if that's all ya got in your area, to each his own.  
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,831
    You know with all the mud you guys "slung" at each other, there is some really good stuff in this thread. 
    Here it is two days later and nothing further?
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • All I can say is that Famous Dave's makes better ribs than I do......at the moment.  Practice I shall, learn from here and improve.  The heart of  a meat smoker. :D

XL BGE Nested

Several Weber's

Chargriller TRIO

·