Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bavette de Boeuf modern caveman style

paqman
paqman Posts: 4,660
edited August 2012 in Beef
Beef flank steak cooked sous vide for 2 hours @ 126.5F then spent 1 minute per side directly on the coals and rested under foil for 7 minutes.  The sides were pickled beets and chive butter sautéed potatoes.

Dessert was chocolate chips cookies baked on the egg.

imageimageimageimage

Comments

• lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    That looks great!  Did you do the pickled beets yourself?

Nice job.

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    lakewade said:

That looks great!  Did you do the pickled beets yourself?

Nice job.
    Yes, also made some fantastic orchard salsa!

Man that looks good!  I make my own pickled beets all the time.  I've never bought in to the "organic" vegetables philosophy, but every time I buy the organic fresh beets, I notice they're about 10 times darker red and taste much better.  So now I pay extra and get the organic.

XLBGE 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    It's the hottest part of the fire.

Man that looks good!  I make my own pickled beets all the time.  I've never bought in to the "organic" vegetables philosophy, but every time I buy the organic fresh beets, I notice they're about 10 times darker red and taste much better.  So now I pay extra and get the organic.

Many varieties of beets are available now. We even have two colors varieties at a local market. It makes for a nice presentation when entertaining and you want a wow factor.

The ones we had yesterday were made with chai tea instead of pickling spices.

What's the benefit of directly on the coals?

Good question. Taste? Quick sear?

When cooking sous vide, the piece of meat is already cooked and extremely moist. Because it is so moist, it is difficult to get a good sear on the regular grate without overcooking the meat.

I noticed golden beets last time I was at The Fresh Market. 

I boil them whole, skin on, for about 1-1.5 hours in brine.   Let them cool down. Skin rubs off under water.  Chop them into bite sized slices and pickle.  I used red-eye rub on my last batch...gave one jar to my neighbor who's a pickled-food freak, and he said they were the best pickled beets he's ever had.
    Thanks for the pickled beets idea and recipe guys - will be giving that a run.  

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Just got back from the store...picked up 4 or 5 pounds of fresh beets to start a new batch.  The redeye seasoning (DP) was so good in the beets, I'm gonna do it again.  And apple cider vinegar...