Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

1st overnighter

kelvinatorkelvinator Posts: 7
edited August 2012 in Pork
Hi all! Been lurking here for a few weeks trying to soak in as much as possible. Going to try a 8.75 lb butt tomorrow night. Trying to decide tonight if I should go ahead and apply mustard and Bad Byron's and refrigerate until the cook tomorrow night. Is there really any advantage to doing this or should I just wait until right before it goes on the egg?
·

Comments

• Phoenix824Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    I just add my rub right before it goes on the egg.    I light the egg and prep the meat while it comes to temp.   
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
    ·
  • BYS1981BYS1981 Posts: 1,821
    I prep when I have time.. usually I do it night before because I have my mynchins asleep.
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,679
    I don't use mustard anymore - too much work and no tangible benefits.  I get the egg started, pull the butt out of the fridge, apply the rub and throw it on as soon as the smoke smells good.

·
  • ncbbqncbbq Posts: 257
    No mustard here either. I've never seen the need for it as the meat always seems to be moist enough to bind the rub with no problem.
    ·
  • I'm a mustard fan. I've read that the vinager in the mustard helps break down the collagen in the pork butt. I don't know if it makes a difference but I've seen too many award winning BBQ guys that do it so I do it too.
    ·