Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Burger Night 8-24-12

Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,571
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
These were actually for Sunday hurricane night, but since that doesn't seem to be happening we decided to make them the Friday cook.

Ground sirloin, about a 3/4 pound patties.  Spiced with garlic powder, sea salt, and black pepper.  The spouse and I have different approaches. I like diced onion and tomato slices put on for a few minutes, then shredded cheese.  She likes a slice of onion and cheese at the last moment.

Done on raised grid, 400, for about 7 minutes a side.  Opened to add toppings at about 5 minutes.

Served on Marty's Big Buns with my Atomic Pickles, and she uses mustard (a crime against nature, everyone knows mustard is for hotdogs, ketchup is for hamburgers), while I use ketchup.

Pics to follow.

XLBGE X 2, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

• Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,571

• Mighty_QuinnMighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
  • Was about to go to bed but now I'm hungry.
  • Phoenix824Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    I have to get Doc to adopt me and then teach me to cook.
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • bigphilbigphil Posts: 1,389
    looks good Doc and my daughter uses mustard and ketchup along with onions, tomatoes and pickles 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Nice cook, Doc.  Nothing beats a juicy home grilled hamburger.
    Houston, Texas
  • Dan4BBQDan4BBQ Posts: 269
    Awesome--I'm humgry
  • Looks fabulous as ever Doc! God I feel like a burger now! Great job!!
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • tjvtjv Posts: 3,404
    Hey Doc, how do you like grilling at the felt line in the xl.....that's one thing I have not done to much of to date.....nice pics by the way....t ACGP, Inc.
    tjv said:
    Hey Doc, how do you like grilling at the felt line in the xl.....that's one thing I have not done to much of to date.....nice pics by the way....t
    I pretty much do that for everything except steaks.  For a number of things, like pizza or game hens, I have followed the sage advice of the more experienced cooks here and started elevating even higher in the dome.

• njlnjl Posts: 838
    12oz burgers?  Isn't that kind of huge?  I normally make them 4oz, 2.5-3oz for the little guy (6yo) who rarely finishes his.
    Well, yeah.  Of course that is before cooking, so they were a good percentage smaller afterward.  I do these a couple time a year, they are not everyday fare.  On the other hand I had one, with a smaller pattie I might have done two.

You piqued my curiosity, and I went to the freezer to look at steaks.  These patties were no more than I would have had with a steak.

• Howdy_DoodyHowdy_Doody Posts: 146
    edited August 2012

You piqued my curiosity
    Congratulations on your correct spelling.  My brother in law (a medical doctor) quizzed me on how to spell it (after using it in a sentence).  I spelled it correctly, and that blew his mind.  He said he had asked several high degreed people, such as medical doctors, Ph.D.'s and educators, and I was the first to spell it correctly.  The other obvious wrong answers were "peaked" and "peeked".

I'm not a snob, but poor grammar and spelling send chills up and down my spine sometimes.  And, I be from Texas ... you know what I'm sayin'?
    Houston, Texas