Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

little smokey

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My ribs came out to smokey I just used a big handful of chips. Any suggestions or the cause. I cooked them for 2 hour at 225. Then foiled them for one hour and cooked again at 225. They came out tender but to smokey.

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    hayseedpaddy,
    Perhaps you did not let the fire get established enough? If I can get it, I like a full hour or more to get a good clean dry fire burning. When I add the chips then I give it another 15-20 minutes until that smoke thins out. I don't bother soaking the wood, cuz then you gotta give it even more time. [p]Another trick is to start off hotter...lat least 250 dome....get the meat cookin, then knock it down to 225 later to do the long tenderizin' thang.[p]Hope it helps. Keep on pluggin!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Essex County
    Essex County Posts: 991
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    You let the chips smoke for 15-20 minutes before cooking??? Aren't they well down the road to being charcoal by then? Or is that the point? I do try to stabilize the fire first (except I am usually in too much of a hurry) but I toss the chips on just before the cook starts. I thought the purpose of the chips was to give quick shot of heavy smoke. Is it better to burn off the heavy stuff first?[p]Paul

• Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    Options
    Essex County,[p]Right -- let the volatile stuff burn off. Thick white smoke tastes bad. Thin blue smoke tastes good.[p]It's easier to get mellow smoke, I think, with wood chunks, instead of wood chips. I don't soak the chunks -- just toss 'em on. Hardwood only, of course -- pine tastes like turpentine.

• Sandbagger
    Sandbagger Posts: 977
    Options
    hayseedpaddy, what type of chips. If mesquite, watch out as it has a strong smoke flavor. With mesquite, a little dab will do ya! Tom

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Essex County,
    Yes. Chunks, chips, whatever I am using, I wait until the smoke thins to a near invisible stream. You don't need to have thick smoke to get good smoke flavor. [p]I don't use chips for short heavy smoke, but instead spread it out so I have a little bit burning all the time. If you have the chips/chunks scattered throughout your lump, you will get little periods of smoke when the fire reaches the wood. But since the wood has totally dried from the heat of the fire it does not put out a thick smoke when it burns.[p]Hope that makes sense!
    Cheers Paul
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ