Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st few cooks, with pictures

Options
JWBurns
JWBurns Posts: 344
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Figured I'd create a post with my first few cooks on my XL. 

1st cook was ribs and corn. I cooked the ribs around 4 hours at 225 degrees. I pulled them too early, as they didn't pass the bend test. 

Next was wings, ABT's, and homemade slaw. The wings were a bit overdone. I decided I need to invest in a rig to raise the cooking surface. I lost a dozen wings due to overcook. The ABT's were good, but a bit greasy. Not a huge fan, but I should try them again to see if I can obtain a different result. 

Next was bacon wrapped chicken thighs, basil pesto, sun dried tomatoes, and goat cheese (thanks necessary indulgences), corn, and twice baked potatoes. The chicken came out great. Less goat cheese and basil pesto sauce as the flavors are a bit overtaking to my liking. The corn was overdone, as well as the potatoes. I've learned that potatoes can soak up too much smoke if left on too long. 

My 4th cook was burgers for the 4th of July. Cut ultra thick, came out exceptional. No need for those pictures.

Tonight's cook was 10oz Prime Fillet Steaks, Zucchini/Squash. I tried the TREX method. Got the egg up over 750, sear for 90 seconds each side. Next time I'll remove the upper fire ring, to put the steaks closer to the coals. After 20 minute rest, I was only able to lower the temp to 550. Back on for 4 minutes each side. Result - medium well :(

Next time I'll try the reverse sear method. The steaks were still exceptional and juicy, just a bit overdone for my taste. 

One thing I've learned is that this Egg is definitely a learning experience. It's work, but I'm working towards learning everything I can! My wife mentioned tonight that the Egg has brought us closer together, and she's right! Our time on the patio, enjoying drinks and good conversation while cooking simply can't be replaced. 

Up this weekend - More wings, and my first pork butt!

Jason

Comments

• LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Options
    Jason, congrats and I second the comment about bringing you closer. I have had thr same experience with my family. The kids come out to see what Mommy is doing outside all the time. They are Intersted in how it cooks how to start it etc. I have enjoyed slowing down very much. Good luck with your cooks this weekend!
  • brewbq
    brewbq Posts: 52
    Options
    Likewise for me. I've been cooking so much my wife complained I was keeping her out of the kitchen too much. We compromised by cooking each meal together now. One night I'll cook the main meal and she'll do sides, then we'll switch. We both get to cook and we're really coming together for each meal. Best part is, now one of us gets to concentrate on sides, so they aren't just an afterthought. We've had real fun "competing" trying to win best dish of the night! She wins more than I do, but I'm still learning the egg. (it's a valid excuse... for now) more so, I still lose as I always have dish duty. Ah, such is life. Cood looking cooks, btw!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    looks good

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!