Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking for 30-40 people tomorrow how much food is enough?

Options
michigan_jason
michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I plan to pick up a 10lb or bigger pork butt for pulled pork sandwiches and tacos

Have someone making hamburgers

Baby back ribs, how many racks? I was thinking of getting 6 (ribs always get demolished is 6 enough?)

ABT's, not sure how many to make here...

This is the meat portion, people are bringing salads, baked mac-n-cheese, and other to go with things.

I have a large, and xl. The xl has an adjustable rig/woo2 combo, not sure how I plan to pull it all off yet, but open to suggestions. The pork butt can either go on later tonight to get done early enough to pull and FTC, or go on and run the rib cook right in with it. Suggestions?

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

Comments

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    I did a party for 37 a few weeks back.  They did in three 8 pound boston butts (pulled) and 45 ABTs.  There were about 8 different side dishes that people brought.  Base on my experience, the 10 pound butt should take care of 15 to 20 people (more with buns) and 6 ribs should take care of 12 to 16 more people.  I would go to 9 slabs and then you know you will have plenty.  The 45 ABTs I did were gone in less than 20 minutes from pulling of the egg.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• michigan_jason
    Options
    I will have burgers as well, but when you see pulled pork, and baby back ribs...well... I guess we are going to need big big plates!

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Expect 1/4 - 1/3 pound of cooked meat for each person. The cooked yield depends on what is cooked. Cooked butts are reduced to 55 - 60% of their starting weight.

In your example, 1 10lb butt should provide about 5.5 pounds of cooked meat. Lets assume everyone is hungry, or that there are 1 or 2 teen age boys there. Give each 1/3 lb of PP. That is food for 16. Or maybe 22 people if the appetites are lesser.

Has to be at least 1 rib per person. 6 racks should do it.

Burgers are fine, and will stretch when in buns w. cheese and toppings.  I'd prefer 3" sections of sausage, and fill up w. mac-n-cheese, potato salad, beans, etc.
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    Good tips, the sausage will help out as well.