Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New EggHead... Need some advice on accessories

Tango2
Tango2 Posts: 34
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I just bought an XL yesterday from my dealer, and I've used it twice already.  Love it.

I've just grilled on it so far, and I'm dying to try some other things on it.  From what I understand, the plate setter is the most important accessory needed to do so.

I'd like to do some ribs soon, and pizza as well.  I know that I could do the BBQ pizza without the plate setter, but I'd like to try with one also.

What do you guys feel the most important accessories are, and where is the best place to buy them?  I think the plate setter is probably only available from BGE, but stuff like pizza stones, etc are plentiful.  Like to hear some first hand experience before I shell out any more $$ this week.
NoVA

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    This subject comes around quite a bit and becomes a personal decision-try searching for BGE accessories or use google with big green egg in the header and you should end up with plenty to digest.  Welcome to the cult!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    If you want to do low and slow, which I'm sure you do, then the platesetter is a very effective way to go indirect.
  • The platesetter is my go-to tool for indirect.  There are other accessories you can buy, but the platesetter is first on my list.  Welcome to the cult!  Take it easy on the Kool-Aid.
    Flint, Michigan
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    that question will cost you several hundred here.  i'm a minimalist so i have plate setter, couple cast iron pieces, raised grid, 2nd level, pizza stone, a maverick thermo and a cheap taylor insta read because my wife won't let me spend any more on the egg for 3 months.  she put it on hold!  most i had before but the toy list continually grows.  hasn't been anything i wanted to cook yet that i haven't been able to do yet.  oh and dont forget welding gloves!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    3 pair leather welding gloves for $10 at harbor freight....mebbe that was on sale, but they're a lotta glove for the price.
    +1 http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/home.html Adjustable Rig and stone, much more flexible than a platesetter.
  • newegg13
    newegg13 Posts: 231

Ceramic grill store, don't buy the platesetter.
    +1 http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/home.html Adjustable Rig and stone, much more flexible than a platesetter.

+2. The adjustable rig has a stone that allows you to do indirect. And its not compatable with the platesetter. You will want to have multiple cooking levels at some point, so the AR is the way to go IMO.
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
  • Tango2
    How does that work for doing pizzas?
    NoVA
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    What they are trying to tell you is that the Ceramic Grill Store has an item which can be used for indirect cooking much like a platesetter. I think what they are talking about is a spider with a ceramic stone , hangs over the coals like a platesetter, you would then have your grill grate and then if you like the adjustable rig (from ceramic grill store) to raise above normal cooking level. You would still need an additional pizza stone. These items can also be used for many other cooks besides pizza.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Tango2
    Yea, I understood what they were saying.  Just didn't know if that would work as well for pizza as the plate setter.  Thought it was more geared towards smoking, etc.  Looks like what most were referring to was the adjustable rig though - not the spider.

NoVA
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    I have been using the platesetter legs up ,grill grate with pizza stone on the grate. Pizza turned out great and gasket has remained intact ! The adjustable rig would be very handy though.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Duganboy
    I've got a new XL sitting on my deck waiting on my new table which I'm getting on Saturday. Sitting beside the BGE is a new platesetter, new swing rack grate, new woo and a new little gizmo that let's me have a smaller fire in the XL.
  • Jrod72
    Jrod72 Posts: 67
    Music to my ears Duganboy!!
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    don't cheap out on your welding gloves, your hands will thank you. As for other accessories, plate setter is very useful, so is a pizza stone, and some sort of way to cook on multiple levels. I'd go platesetter, weber 18" grid and 4 7 inch stainlesss bolts to fashion yourself a second tier. Than a pizza stone. In order of importance.

Or go to www.ceramicgrillstore.com and break the bank on  the adjustable rig combo.

Either way, you won't be sorry.
  • Tango2
    Ok, so I went with the platesetter.  I'm really happy with it so far.  I did some ribs that came out great, along with a couple of whole chickens.  Yesterday, I tried my luck with pizzas directly on the plate setter.  By far, the experience was better than any other attempt I've made, but I feel that there is a little room for improvement.

The crust cooked too fast and the toppings not quite enough.  I think this is an easy fix though, I just need a good pizza stone to offset the hot temps of the platesetter.  I want to get one before this weekend - any good ones that I could pick up locally?  Otherwise, I can hit up the BGE retailer...

imageimage
    NoVA
  • Yes, a pizza stone on the platesetter. I have the BGE XL stone which is very good. Check out an Exo Super Peel if you like making pizza. It is a little miracle worker.
  • Duganboy
    Get a good stone and then use the platesetter legs up to get the hot air on the pizza stone.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    newegg13 said:
    Ceramic grill store, don't buy the platesetter.
    +2. The adjustable rig has a stone that allows you to do indirect. And its not compatable with the platesetter. You will want to have multiple cooking levels at some point, so the AR is the way to go IMO.

Don't worry about the difference between the two.  It won't be long and you will want another XL and you can buy the adjustable with the Woo2 for the second one.  For pizza, I put the stainless grate on top of the plate setter (legs up) and then put my pizza stone on the grid. 

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• On gloves, I currently have the series 200 but will be getting the 300 next.  http://www.newtex.com/ExtremeProtective/High_Temperature_Gloves_Mitts/300_Series_ZFlex/

With my series 200, I can grab my placestter and move it in or out of the egg without any issues.  I love these gloves.  I thinking the series 300 will protect me if I spill something on my hands.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    U_tarded said:
    that question will cost you several hundred here.  i'm a minimalist so i have plate setter, couple cast iron pieces, raised grid, 2nd level, pizza stone, a maverick thermo and a cheap taylor insta read because my wife won't let me spend any more on the egg for 3 months.  she put it on hold!  most i had before but the toy list continually grows.  hasn't been anything i wanted to cook yet that i haven't been able to do yet.  oh and dont forget welding gloves!
    This is the list, you already have the setter.....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!