Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's You Favorite Hot Dog?

Fred19Flintstone
Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum

I hope Hungry Joe & Doc Eggerton don't mind, but in Doc's Lowly Hot Dog thread, Hungry Joe asked what your favorite Hot Dog was.  I thought perhaps that deserved it's own thread as a lot of people have already read about Doc' not so lowly hot dogs.

Koegel Vienna Hot Dogs are made locally in Michigan and are top notch!  I prefer them to any national brand.  What's your favorite?

Thanks to Doc & Joe for inspiration.  (That's what it's called when I steal an idea.) 

Flint, Michigan

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    :-)

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    My little brother will kill me ( he works for/makes Oscar Meyer Hot Dogs) I like Nathan"s Hot Dogs !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    Sahlens....from Buffalo, NY.
  • lensegg
    lensegg Posts: 35
    Even though I am in South Florida, my favorite hot dog is a Chicago Dog made with Vienna Brand hot dogs. Yum!!
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    None. The less hot dogs the better. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    All grilled summer hot dogs are great tasting-I have read lots of praises about Pearl dogs-can't find 'em here.  Anyone have comments?
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Outcast
    Outcast Posts: 112
    We like the bison hot dogs that Whole Foods makes. 
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Boar's head hotdog (beef & pork) in natural casing. 

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    lensegg said:
    Even though I am in South Florida, my favorite hot dog is a Chicago Dog made with Vienna Brand hot dogs. Yum!!
    Same here.  Two jobs ago I used to go TDY to Chicago about once a month, and always had to stop into Portillo's for a Chicago Dog.  Damn, I miss those...  :((

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Pearl but they are hard to find and expensive. I have my parents bring them to me when they drive through they carry them at select BJs and some in Florida carry them. Best hot dog you can find. http://www.pearlmeat.com/#
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Do not know the brand, but a buddy that I used to work with was from Buffalo,NY and always brought back a big cooler full of the best I ever had.  I always kidded him about bringing back hot wings from the Anchor Bar, but could not get him to do it.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Hoffman's or Hebrew National. 2 totally different tastes.
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Tjcoley said:
    Hoffman's or Hebrew National. 2 totally different tastes.
    +1 on the Hebrew National!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    edited August 2012
    pearl would be my favorite but sometimes its more what you do with them. i think these were kayem old tyme beef/nat casings, fairly bland but fried in butter in the egg with a ny style chili sauce, mustard, onion, celerysalt in a butter fried newengland roll, not half bad. something i like to do with the rolls is coat in butter, add a rub and onto the grill, really adds some flavor to the bread

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    pearl would be my favorite but sometimes its more what you do with them. i think these were kayem old tyme beef/nat casings, fairly bland but fried in butter in the egg with a ny style chili sauce, mustard, onion, celerysalt in a butter fried newengland roll, not half bad. something i like to do with the rolls is coat in butter, add a rub and onto the grill, really adds some flavor to the bread

Thats not cool at all I'm hungry.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239

Preparation like that would make any dog taste good. Even Tofu dogs.... Wait, slap me, I'd didn't say that.
    :))
  • GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    I am a Vienna Hot Dog fan and after living in the Chicago area for 60 years I have come to love the Chicago Style Hotdog. I now live in Missouri near Branson and frequent Mickey's in Branson West for my Chicago Dog fix. Mickey was a truck driver in Chicago and hit them all and has the best dog outside Chicago. I also don't forget his Italian Beef and Sausage Combo with hot peppers and juice. I am getting excited now may need a trip South.
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    I think this might be pretty regional but I like Hummel Bros out of New Haven, CT. They make several - you have to look for the Pork and Beef in Sheep Casing.  I also like Kayem in the Natural Casing.
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    Jordan's natural casing hot dogs from Maine (if they still make them, it has been years since i moved south)  Other than that, Maverick uncured Buffalo

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited August 2012
    hmmm, I tried Hebrew National once, and they just seemed... OK... to me. 

One thing I noticed was that they were "little" - I usually go for the jumbo hot dogs, and these seemed... well... puny.  In fact, I tasted more bun than dog. 

Does Hebrew National make jumbo dogs, or is that it?

EDIT:  by George, they do:  http://www.hebrewnational.com/products/hot-dog-beef-franks.jsp (I know, I answered my own question)... anyway, may have to give another try. 

Might also try to find some Pearl's as well...
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I like the Fairbury Tom Boys.

Official hot dog of Husker Nation!!!!!  GO BIG RED!!!

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • BOWHUNR said:

Mike
    +1 - There is no comparison! Oh and those hot dogs are pretty good too.

• Penn Dutch is a grocery store chain in South FL that makes their own dogs and sausages...very good!
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    There is a place near the Outer Banks of NC called the Weeping Radish. They are a farm and brewery and also have a small restaurant there. They also have their own butcher that makes fresh sausages including hot dogs. We went there for the first time a couple of weeks ago while on vacation and I picked up a couple packs of these fresh hot dogs to bring home. Have to say they were really good. Of course I guess they were not processed enough for my wife as she took a bite and looked there and said, "what is this". I said beef, keep eating. She couldn't get over it so she didn't eat anymore. Saves more for me I guess. I guess she prefers pureed chicken product in her dogs, lol.
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Dang I'm jealous. I don't think any of those are avail where I live. As far as national brands go my favorite is Nathan's. Tho I won't lie I enjoy a good turkey dog sometimes.
    Boom
  • tgkleman
    tgkleman Posts: 216
    I also think it is less of the hotdog and more of what you put on it:

Chili - cheese - onion - slaw dog, with mustard of course.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Nathan's Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    BOWHUNR said:

Mike
    If I still lived in Lincoln, I'd go buy some right now.  Let's hope for a B1G 10 Championship for the Big Red.  I lived 3 blocks south of the Original Valentino's and would love to try a BGE pizza with their crust.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    I grew up in Toledo Ohio so my favorite hot dog comes from Tony Packos
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • I grew up in Toledo Ohio so my favorite hot dog comes from Tony Packos
    I too grew up in Toledo and find Tony Packos gross. I am a fan of Lee Williams natural casing hot dogs.