Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help slicing my 2nd brisket correctly

Options
mrosener
mrosener Posts: 26
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I did my 1st brisket a couple months ago.  I think I sliced the brisket the wrong direction.  Help me with my 2nd brisket I'm doing this weekend.  Is the red line the correct way to slice this brisket?

Comments

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    Yes. cut across the grain, stay 90* to grain as it changes.(you may need to make adjustments)  If you get a lot of bark you can score the meat before cooking for a visual later. Good luck.
  • LizzieSamps
    Options
    Just like Brownie said!!
  • North_Is_Up
    Options
    That looks correct, if it's that 90 degree angle to the grain. Put in three toothpicks now on the red line. In that way, when you lather it up with rub and can no longer see the grain, you'll just put your knife next to the toothpicks and start cutting. You use three toothpicks in case one pops out during rough handling. 
    Small (hatched 6/13/2015)
    XL (hatched 4/21/2012)
    CyberQ Wifi, KCBS CTC CBJ
    Northern CA
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    I'd cut it now along the red line so you can follow the cut later when slicing.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    That's a full packer, right? You should separate the flat and carve as you have indicated (you might want to notch that reference so you can tell when the meat comes out of the egg looking quite different). The grain on the point runs different, but it's easy to tell because of the fat. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    Options
    yea, notching isn't a bad idea, after a good smoke and rub. The bark can hide the grain, cut a little chunk off the end of that sucker