Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I stink at stretching pizza dough

Options
2»

Comments

• 2SCdoodlegg
    Options

Nolaegghead, Thanks for catching that I had left off the flour!  I did a "cut" on the draft and forgot the "paste" to put the flour amount back! 
    1large BGE and 1 well used mini BGE living in coastal South and North Carolina!
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    I stink too. My pizzas are never round but who cares (aside from samferrise)... (haha)

@cortguitarman Try stretching at least one if you haven't tried for awhile because the texture and taste of the dough will be completely different... you know, if you want to.

@vidalia1 Fermenting dough and old ladies droopy underpants???? Wow.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

Nolaegghead, Thanks for catching that I had left off the flour!  I did a "cut" on the draft and forgot the "paste" to put the flour amount back! 
    My pleasure.  I did a double-take when reading your recipe...figured it was an editing issue...or you were on to something totally radical.
    Options
    I roll mine out because I don't feel like taking the time to learn any other way. I do make my own dough and I've found it to be very good and easy to make.
    This is the spirit! Find out what works for you and use it. Some are always looking for the adventure of the journey, others are looking for the destination, no matter what it is, if you are happy stick with it. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    Options
    When your dough doesn't want to stretch out... Let it rest for 1 to 2 minutes and then work it some more. It will stop fighting you. Hold it on the back of your floured hand from the edge of the dough and slowly rotate it in a circle and let gravity stretch it out. Works like magic! I learned that from a Master Baker, Peter Reinhart.
  • watergirlb
    watergirlb Posts: 21
    Options
    anez said:
    So last night i took my first shot at pizza on the egg. I bought my dough from Trader Joe's (lazy, I know will look to make my own dough maybe next time) and had an impossible time trying to stretch out the dough. My pizza turned out really blah because of it. One was way to thin and one was just a little too thick. 

The dough was really wet and difficult to work with even tho i had it sitting out on the counter for 40 minutes or so before working with it.

Anyone have any tips on the best ways to spread pizza dough? if you make your own is there a better chance at making some that is easier to work with? Or do i just stink? 

Thanks!

Use some cornmeal on your surface to spread the dough, it will allow the dough to "slide out" as you press it out.  You can also use a floured pin to kind of roll it out too.