Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie attempting to smoke 4 pieces of pork shoulder

abpgwolf
abpgwolf Posts: 558
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I am attempting my first low and slow on my new XL BGE. Following the great advice on this forum I've decided to attempt pork shoulder for pulled pork. I'm cooking for a large group and was planning on doing two 6-8 lb shoulders. But, when my wife went to the butcher, all that was available was two bone in pieces (about 4 lbs each) and two boneless pieces (about 3 lbs each). I was planning on putting the two 4 lb pieces on about 10 hours before the guests arrive and adding the two 3 lb pieces after about two hours. My question is am I allowing time for all the shoulders? (I'd rather be done a few hours early). Thanks to everyone for making this a great forum!

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

Comments

• Figure 2 hours per pound @ 250-300 but remember it is always better to finish early than late.  When there done, wrap in foil, cover with towels and place in the oven or a cooler.  Don't worry if your egg stabilizes at 280 to 300 and wants to stay there, they will turn out just fine.  Good luck and lets see some pics.
  • hrchdog
    hrchdog Posts: 40
    I would put them all on at the same time and if the smaller ones got done sooner than the rest then FTC them. I might also put them on a little earlier than ten hours depending on what temp you are cooking at. If they get done earlier than needed just FTC.
    Herrin,IL.
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Good advice from above, and don't forget to check the butt temps and tenderness separately because they may not finish at the same time. (similar sizes included in my assumption)
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 558
    Thank you for all of the advise! The pulled pork was fantastic, we had 20 people over and everyone said it was great. All went well with the cook, no stall, no temp control issues. 2 pieces were ready just before the guests arrived and the others were done about an hour later (just in time for seconds). I'm sorry there are no pictures (unless you want to see a quart bag of leftovers) the sky opened up just as I was removing the first batch and the kitchen was too full of hungry people. Thanks again everyone for making my first attempt at smoking a success

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316

Inject with Apple Juice and Whiskey coat them down in mustard and put your favorite dust on. 2 Hours per pound at 225-250. I have wrapped them in foil and done them unwrapped till the end and then wrapped in foil and a towell and stuffed in a cooler.

Each way is great and you will be happy in the end.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.