Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maverick vs. Thermopen Thermometers

Mayberry
Mayberry Posts: 750
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've bounced back and forth between getting a Maverick or a Thermopen. I'm finding out that a very good, reliable thermometer is the most important Eggcessory I can have. Even the most perfectly prepared cut of meat can be ruined by internal temp. Which do you prefer, and among the Maverick's, which models most useful? Or, do they serve different purposes, and do you suggest having both? I looked on Amazon, and there seem to be quite a few variations of the Maverick. The Dual Probe models look pretty nice. It would be great to accurately keep track of meat internal temp, and grate level temp at the same time. Input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Athens, GA
XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590

Comments

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    They're very different tools...kind of like asking if you should buy an F-150 or a mustang.

The Maverick is for keeping track of long cooks (smoking).  The thermopen is for quick checks of anything from burgers and steaks to finding out if the Maverick is telling the truth about your brisket.
  • I have both.  I find that I am always using my thermopen to double check my Maverick ET-732.  I monitor the cook on the Maverick, finish it with the Thermopen.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • freduc2
    freduc2 Posts: 73
    Is this the Maverick your asking about. This is instant read. I love it.
    LBGE, Weber Performer. Located in Franklin County Pa.
  • Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    I have both.  I find that I am always using my thermopen to double check my Maverick ET-732.  I monitor the cook on the Maverick, finish it with the Thermopen.
    +1

Opelika, Alabama
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    njl said:
    They're very different tools...kind of like asking if you should buy an F-150 or a mustang.

The Maverick is for keeping track of long cooks (smoking).  The thermopen is for quick checks of anything from burgers and steaks to finding out if the Maverick is telling the truth about your brisket.
    Right above is your answer.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I use boiling water to check my thermometer's calibration. Thermapen is popular because it's relatively fast and has been NIST-traceable calibrated at the factory.  Plus it comes in egg  green.  We're all cooking to ballpark temperatures - 0.1 degree resolution is meaningless.  Using an analog thermometer won't make you a worse cook.  Using an uncalibrated thermometer will.

I have a Thermapen and I love it.  I'm sure the Maverick will do an equal job.

You might want to check out the Thermoworks TW8060. I have just purchased one and I really like it. It is dual channel so you can monitor meat temp and grid temp. Also you can purchase different probe and use one channel to do spot checks like when cooking burgers, steaks, and what every else you want.
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Assuming you mean a 732 vs Thermapen it truly comes down to what you cook more.  Best example would be Ribs vs Steaks. 

When you cook ribs, a Thermapen is worthless.  No one that cooks ribs cooks to temp, you cook till they are tender either by using the bend test, toothpick, etc. However the Maverick with just the pit probe in place will keep you from going out to check your egg to make sure your fire is where you want it.  Allows you to know grate temp exactly, rather than guessing based on dome temp. I find the Maverick a wonderful tool on this type of cook which is usually 5-6 hours for me.

When you cook steaks, a Maverick is worthless (unless its a huge chunk of meat and you do it lower than 500 degrees).  The probes won't stand up to the searing temps reached doing typical steaks.  So you don't monitor pit temp with it, or meat temp.  However a fast reading Thermapen is great to check the steak.  I sear at nuclear temps, pull meat and put on platter then check temps while cooling the Egg down.  Finish them off at 400-500 and checking temp as I go every so often.  
    There are a lot of cooks that fall in between, like spatched chicken, turkey, etc that you could use both on and people will choose which they would rather give up on those particular cooks.  

You will probably want both eventually, and for most people I'd say a Thermapen is more popular of a choice because the longer low and slow cooks are more forgiving than steaks, chicken, fish, etc which can be ruined by a 10-15 degree internal temp difference that can happen in mere minutes.

Frank
  • nolaegghead
    I was assuming that the question was - what brand of instant read is better (Thermapen is a instant read model of Thermoworks, Maverick is a brand that has an instant read that's very similar).

Yeah, instant reads are for - instant readings.  Monitors have cords so the electronics don't melt.  Different beasts, different applications. Get both.
    I've bounced back and forth between getting a Maverick or a Thermopen. I'm finding out that a very good, reliable thermometer is the most important Eggcessory I can have. Even the most perfectly prepared cut of meat can be ruined by internal temp. Which do you prefer, and among the Maverick's, which models most useful? Or, do they serve different purposes, and do you suggest having both? I looked on Amazon, and there seem to be quite a few variations of the Maverick. The Dual Probe models look pretty nice. It would be great to accurately keep track of meat internal temp, and grate level temp at the same time. Input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Here's some pretty good reviews that may help you make up your mind.

ttp://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Pro-Temp-Commercial-Thermometer-PT-100/product-reviews/B002Q4TQI0
    2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    With the Maverick or Thermoworks, what temps do the probes measure to? I have an older Taylor that works fine, but just for internal meat temp. It oly measures to 250, so it's useless for grate temp...and it only has one probe. I'm seeing that both are very useful, and I think I'll end up with both, if the Maverick or Thermoworks will measure higher grate temps. Anyone know the temp limits they measure?
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • nolaegghead
    ET-732

Receiver displays barbecue temperature up to 572 F

Both probe wires are heat resistant to 716 F

(based on Browninggold's link)
    Nola....I thought for sure you were gonna whip out the ol'  lmgtf.com
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    As frank said you will eventually get both. I use the pen much more often, but you can do steaks, chops and chicken by looks and touch, and be somewhat accurate. You can't guess what temp your grill and meat are from inside the house without the 732.
    George
  • nolaegghead
    AleBrewer said:
    hahaha...I thought about it.  (...and here's how you put a worm on the hook...)
    ....and here's what happens when you try to use your Thermapen like a 732...

ouch....that one got a bit warm I'd say...
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    @nola: Looks like you forgot to wrap it in foil.

;)
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    AleBrewer said:
    give a man a Search and he has the answer for a day,
    Teach a man to search.......
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • nolaegghead
    Fortunately, my Thermapen is still intact...

http://bit.ly/R0ofGf
    ;)