Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Civil unrest

FanOfFanboys
FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
edited August 2012 in Off Topic
Thought I'd post this. Want to keep apolitical in attacking or defending any specific political party. But the potential behind this could be huge, if America has any large civil revolution. If it happens can you defend your family? Survive without grocery stores for an extended period of time? http://dailycaller.com/2012/08/17/who-does-the-government-intend-to-shoot/#ixzz23zqNF4Zw there has been several sites that has reported the ammo sale, this one just has some additional commentary that can be ignored if you like.
Boom

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Read the theme title and thought-hey I'm trying to avoid SWMBO civil unrest every day!!! :)>- No clue about the link-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited August 2012
    There are plenty of government conspiracy blogs and where purely speculative articles are welcome.  This is fear mongering poison.  I'd rather read about zombies. 
    :-@

Flint, Michigan
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    go to www.snopes.com and type in social security hollow points and you will see that this is just more bull sh.. from wackos.  Come on - get it together and check out the crap before putting it out.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• nolaegghead
    Scariest group of people is a group of scared people.
    edited August 2012
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    "Scariest group of people is a group of scared people."
    +1
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited August 2012

+2...and the main reason I chose to bear arms

Society couldn't handle being knocked off the grid.  There are zombies all around us glued to their iPhones 

The egg and lump charcoal would work in our favor if a revolution/civil unrest should occur 

I've occasionally thought about survival egging.  Baking comes to mind.  Flour and the finished products would store great. 

Jerky would be another ideal cook and store for extended amounts of time in a cool, dry place. 

What are some other possibilities?

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• jimreed777
    jimreed777 Posts: 324
    I just googled this weirdness and found this article on CBS:

Seems that people are rightly speculating about what the hell the government is doing buying hollow points to punch paper for training. Show of hands please...who the heck blows big money on anything but fmj for target practice? Just saying....

My first thought, however, is Occam's Razor. Cause I only use my tinfoil for BBQing.

"other things being equal, a simpler explanation is better than a more complex one."

Government wastes money. This, I think, is nothing but another example of that.

"This is a topic  I really wanted to stay away from.

Despite what some may think, I don not see a government conspiracy around every corner.

I don't like the way the federal government is handling things right now...but it's a fundamental disagreement on where this government is taking us.

But, this story won't die.

I think it's time to meet it head-on.

The United States Government is has ordered millions of rounds of ammunition.

Just not any ammo.

Hollow point bullets.

And they are not going to the United States Army.

They are being sent to government agencies...like the social security administrationand the National Weather Service.

I didn't know the social security administration needed it's own officers and I did find out though research the bullets sent to the weather service are going to officers which enforce hunting and fishing laws and they are onder the NOAA umbrella.

But why does my country need so much ammo.

Depends on the math you trust this is enough for 4 to 5 bullets for every American.

Some say they need this ammo for practice.

You don't practice with hollow points.

They are expensive.

You practice with cheaper ammunition.

Go down to Lock and Load in Tyler and learn that.

This from a retired Army general who has weighed in on this.

"Hollow point bullets are so lethal that the Geneva Convention does not allow their use on the battle field in time of war. Hollow point bullets don't just stop or hurt people, they penetrate the body, spread out, fragment and cause maximum damage to the body's organs. Death often follows."

The feds have said they are ordering.

They still won't tell us why.

That..is troubling.

That's my point of view what's yours?"

• nolaegghead
    Who cares?  The price difference isn't significant, and if it's preparedness policy to dual purpose your stocks, I can see the policy being have x amount of hollow point in stock.  Hollow point ammo is used by law enforcement for safety purposes - it has the potential to cause less collateral damage.  If the government spends an extra few million ($0.01 per person) a year on more expensive ammo, and it saves a few lives, great.  Oh, let me put that in the same terms the article is written in - if it saves even a single unborn fetus in collateral fire.....

This whole issue is political and distracting and just annoys the crap out of me.  We have bigger issues. 

On this forum, our issues are....cooking.  Fun stuff.  I have enough paranoid friends and family sending fear-mongering emotional chainmail stuff that's a mix of misrepresentation and lies, and it's just a bunch of propaganda bunk.

That's my opinion, presented here to help curb trolling on this very fine BGE egghead site.
    darn, i thought this was gonna be about a new rub.
  • nolaegghead
    It is.  The wrong way.
  • Outcast
    Outcast Posts: 112
    Just not any ammo.

Hollow point bullets.

Some say they need this ammo for practice.

You don't practice with hollow points.

They are expensive.

You practice with cheaper ammunition.

That's my point of view what's yours?"
    Sorry, but that is flat out wrong.  Federal LEO's carry that ammunition in their sidearms.  You train with the ammunition you carry.  Its a simple proven concept, you train the way the way you fight.  When we trained LEOs whether Federal or locals we had them firing several hundred rounds daily.  Bulk ammo purchases are nothing new. 

Back to BBQ now ?

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    i can see it, my brother has been trying to collect  ssi/disability since he lost both ankles last november
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • FanOfFanboys
    Hopefully it never happens. I'll continue to live my life. But in case anything does I also make sure I have the ammo to protect me and mine and the skills to make a basic existence on our land. Of course this whole thing could be nothing. But there has been a lot of civil unrest in other major countries recently. And there are enough crazy people in our cou try that it is not outside realm of possibility something happens here. We have had major riots before, they could certainly happen on a larger scale. I don't foresee our officials shooting woman and kids and US becoming Sudan or Egypt. But no need to prepare for peace. Outcast if you want to go back to BBQ then get out of the OT forum.
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    This particular article maybe complete nonsense. I maybe should have researched more. Not defending it. But it is silly to think if something ever happened the government has our best interest at heart. Look at what the government did to its own black citizens up until 1970s with physical violence. If you disagree and think no need to worry and our government has our back and this is complete waste, no prob. It is OT, I don't create threads like this, and you can easily skip.
    Boom
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Lifes to short to live scared and fearful

Not scared or fearful, more like prepared

A nice guy without a weapon is the first one dead

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited August 2012
    Conspiracy theories notwithstanding (I didn't read the article, but I know enough about the subject of it to know that it's about the Gov preparing for folks who get "disobedient" if they don't get their SS checks, etc)...

Anyway, rather than be concerned about WHY these Federal agencies are purchasing ammo - I'm more concerned that agencies like the SS administration & NOAA actually have the authority TO purchase ammo and to use deadly force... who gave them this authority, and when?  When and why did these Gov agencies who have absolutely NO authority to "police" and enact force get bestowed upon them this additional power?

We, the people, have been sitting fat, dumb, and happy for far too long, while the Gov has quietly seized more & more authority & power.

Do I think our Gov will "turn" deadly & start massacring it's own citizens like Syria, Libya, etc?  No, but it doesn't have to.  It doesn't have to have a violent revolution to form a hard tyranny, it's doing it via a soft tyranny, over time, creating more & more laws, taking more & more freedom away from us. 

Everything from storming in & shutting down little kids' lemonade stands for not having the proper food handler's certifications or seller's permits, to not being able to use my Egg on "spare the air" days (look it up, the People's Republik of Kalifornia can actually fine you for burning wood), to shutting off communications during an emergency (BART "officials" cut cell phone & internet service during a rumor of a protest), to laws against setting off fireworks (the irony in NOT allowing us the freedom to set off fireworks on the day that our country declared independence from another country which encroached on our freedom is so thick as to be cut w/ a knife), etc, etc, etc - we have went from the "land of the free" to the "land of nuisance, nanny-state laws"

Also, whatever happened to our public servants actually being servants to us?  They work for us, they are NOT "royalty" - but yet they can create laws which force us to have health care, but they have their own?  They can vote for their own pay raises?  They get lifetime pensions & benefits?  They are ofen insulated from the consequences of activities the rest of us would be in jail for (insider trading, tax evasion, bribery, corruption, etc)???

We are to blame for allowing our Gov to be the size & power that it is now.  The Founding Fathers are rolling over in their graves knowing what our Gov has become. 

Remember, many laws stitched together over time form the blanket of tyranny - Me. 

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

(off my soapbox, you may continue) ;-)
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • stike said:

"Scariest group of people is a group of scared people."
    +1

Boom +1

XLBGE 
  • FanOfFanboys
    Conspiracy theories notwithstanding (I didn't read the article, but I know enough about the subject of it to know that it's about the Gov preparing for folks who get "disobedient" if they don't get their SS checks, etc)...

Anyway, rather than be concerned about WHY these Federal agencies are purchasing ammo - I'm more concerned that agencies like the SS administration & NOAA actually have the authority TO purchase ammo and to use deadly force... who gave them this authority, and when?  When and why did these Gov agencies who have absolutely NO authority to "police" and enact force get bestowed upon them this additional power?

We, the people, have been sitting fat, dumb, and happy for far too long, while the Gov has quietly seized more & more authority & power.

Do I think our Gov will "turn" deadly & start massacring it's own citizens like Syria, Libya, etc?  No, but it doesn't have to.  It doesn't have to have a violent revolution to form a hard tyranny, it's doing it via a soft tyranny, over time, creating more & more laws, taking more & more freedom away from us. 

Everything from storming in & shutting down little kids' lemonade stands for not having the proper food handler's certifications or seller's permits, to not being able to use my Egg on "spare the air" days (look it up, the People's Republik of Kalifornia can actually fine you for burning wood), to shutting off communications during an emergency (BART "officials" cut cell phone & internet service during a rumor of a protest), to laws against setting off fireworks (the irony in NOT allowing us the freedom to set off fireworks on the day that our country declared independence from another country which encroached on our freedom is so thick as to be cut w/ a knife), etc, etc, etc - we have went from the "land of the free" to the "land of nuisance, nanny-state laws"

Also, whatever happened to our public servants actually being servants to us?  They work for us, they are NOT "royalty" - but yet they can create laws which force us to have health care, but they have their own?  They can vote for their own pay raises?  They get lifetime pensions & benefits?  They are ofen insulated from the consequences of activities the rest of us would be in jail for (insider trading, tax evasion, bribery, corruption, etc)???

We are to blame for allowing our Gov to be the size & power that it is now.  The Founding Fathers are rolling over in their graves knowing what our Gov has become. 

Remember, many laws stitched together over time form the blanket of tyranny - Me. 

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

(off my soapbox, you may continue) ;-)

Agree 100%
    Boom
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

Hillbilly, spot on.

Why was the national guard created? What has become of it now? !!!!

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Snopes is a joke - and has been proven many times to be politically slanted.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    I'd really hate to see yet another favorite forum go down the political path and self-destruct, so:

What's the best rub for Zombie Steaks™? 

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Onegrecook
    Onegrecook Posts: 121
    edited August 2012
    Botch said:

Lead hollow points
  • jimreed777
    jimreed777 Posts: 324
    Botch said:
    I'd really hate to see yet another favorite forum go down the political path and self-destruct, so:

I hate politics as much as anyone....but this is the off-topic forum. No harm.
  • nolaegghead

twlangan said:
    Well, back up that statement with some references.   Where has it proven to be politically slanted?  And "I read it on the internet" doesn't mean it's a fact.  Has to be a credible source.

"Snopes receives more complaints of liberal than conservative bias,[26] but insists that it applies the same debunking standards to all political urban legends. FactCheck reviewed a sample of Snopes' responses to political rumors regarding George W. Bush, Sarah Palin and Barack Obama, and found them to be free from bias in all cases. FactCheck noted that Barbara Mikkelson was a Canadian citizen (and thus unable to vote in US elections) and David Mikkelson was an independent who was once registered as a Republican. "You’d be hard-pressed to find two more apolitical people," David Mikkelson told them.[26][27]"

When did this become a political blog?

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    Well, it is in the off topic section.  Personally i like to keep my political opinions to myself.  Unfortunately as a nation, we have seemed to have lost the ability to disagree and still be friends.  For me, it does not matter what you believe, i will still love you even if you are wrong!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• chuff
    chuff Posts: 255

twlangan said:
    Well, back up that statement with some references.   Where has it proven to be politically slanted?  And "I read it on the internet" doesn't mean it's a fact.  Has to be a credible source.

"Snopes receives more complaints of liberal than conservative bias,[26] but insists that it applies the same debunking standards to all political urban legends. FactCheck reviewed a sample of Snopes' responses to political rumors regarding George W. Bush, Sarah Palin and Barack Obama, and found them to be free from bias in all cases. FactCheck noted that Barbara Mikkelson was a Canadian citizen (and thus unable to vote in US elections) and David Mikkelson was an independent who was once registered as a Republican. "You’d be hard-pressed to find two more apolitical people," David Mikkelson told them.[26][27]"

+1

I've never seen any credible evidence that Snopes had any political intent or bias. If people dislike Snopes it's most often because the site has proven the crap they send out in scare emails is just that - crap. 
    XL BGE