Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Massive pizza fail - made pizza shaped charcoal

Options
echap
echap Posts: 13
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Pro tip - when buying a papa Murphys pizza for for a quick and easy dinner, don't get the family size if you plan on cooking it on your lbge.
I built a big fire, and then went and got the family size "cowboy ". With the egg up to 550 or so I went to put it in, and noticed that the stone was about a couple inches to small. I figured I would just leave it on the paper tray. This turned out to be a bad idea. Paper caught on fire, pizza caught on fire. Big yellow flames coming out the top of the egg, tried to open it up to save dinner, but it was to late. Closed the lid and snuffed the fire out. Looked at it a couple hours later and all I managed to make was pizza shaped charcoal.
That sucker was HOT!
We had McDonalds for dinner. Sorry, did not take any pictures.

Comments

• JerkChicken
    Options
    Hmmm. Guess you learned a few things eh? :-w
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    Open flames and paper do not mix.... who'da thunk it??  ;)

P.S.  Glad everyone's OK & it didn't get outta hand!!
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    I did the same one Friday night but I only had the temp up to 425* & it turned out great. The tray was a little crispy but no fire. The pie was done just right, nice brown crust & just brown cheese.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• dcbelljr
    dcbelljr Posts: 4
    edited August 2012
    Options
    echap, on the one Papa Murphy's I've done, I treated the paper tray like some people use the parchment paper. I left it on the stone for a few minutes, and then just pulled the tray out from under the pizza once the crust had firmed a bit. It worked great, and no fires. Maybe you could try that next time. Best of luck.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    @echap: I'm asking cause I don't have Papa Murphy's here: Do the instructions say to cook it at 550?

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • probe1957
    probe1957 Posts: 222
    Options
    I can't believe you didn't take any pictures.  :)
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    I think 400 for the PM ought to do it. And I have done it on the tray it comes with, no fires.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options

What I do is get it going with the tray and then about so many min into the cook I slide the pie off the tray and put it on the stone.

Have not had an issue yet with Tray Fires yet. It does sound exciting.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    PM was a sponsor of the Eggfest I was at last Saturday.  I heard their rep say to cook their pizzas at 425.
  • echap
    echap Posts: 13
    Options
    Yeah the last one I did I pulled the tray out part way thru, but this was the family size pizza and hung over the edge of the pizza stone, and then caught on fire. 

Yeah I can't believe that I did not take a pic either.  Oh well.
  • Daveh1976
    Options
    I did 2 this weekend.  The first one I put on parchment paper and put it in the 500 degree egg on a warmed up but not hot pizza stone.  It really didn't cook well in the middle.  Very doughy.  The second one I tried I left on the tray.  The pizza stone was already hot.  It came out great.  I've never had one  of their crust rise that much in my oven.  I think the little bit of grease that is on their tray helped crisp up the bottom as well.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    @echap.... +1 for honesty.  As much as we like to learn from each others' success, it takes a real man to give the bad with the good 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Wish I could mimic that chicken, spinach artichoke pizza.
    Seattle, WA