Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lowly Hotdog

Options
Doc_Eggerton
Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
In the middle of a fairly complex cook the spouse opined that she did not feel well and the only thing that sounded good were hotdogs.  Ha, never have done them on the Egg.  Shift gears slightly, and provide the required dogs.  Bun, cheese, onions, and mustard to complete.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    There is nothing lowly about a hotdog when it's good food.  Yours is smothered in cheese & onions and makes me want to crank up the Egg.  Good job!
    Flint, Michigan
  • micheggin
    Options
    we do them often. simple and quick and definitely better on the egg... grab a small can of chili for topping next time.image
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    I'm more of a grilled sausage guy, but these looked better Egged than boiled.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Try spiral slicing the skin before cooking.  It won't curl, you get a lot more surface area, and lots of crevices for the toppings to slip into.  And they look cool.  
    wkenta86 Posts: 17
    Options
    I like a couple of hot dogs and grilled cheese sandwiches on the BGE as a pick me up..
  • Browninggold
    Options
    Try cutting a slit lengthwise in the dog put in shredded cheese and wrap with bacon. Pretty good dog
  • LizzieSamps
    Options
    My kids get Hot dogs off the egg all the time, I will have to try the spiral cut idea, thanks!
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    Wrap bacon into the spiral cut amazing!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    One of the top food groups off the Egg: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Hope the Mrs. Doc is feeling better. Nufin' wrong with dogs....especially if ya got some chilli to go on top of them.

What was your fairly complex cook you were getting into?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    Options
    My wife hates hotdogs....so I hardly ever cook them at home. Nothing like a hotdog cooked over charcoal though. Up here in New England, steamed weenies seem to be popular.....not for me.

Dogs look good, but all those raw onions would absolutely destroy my stomach.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Hey Doc, those dogs look great. I love cheese dogs.
    But I know SWMBO would never let me use that much onion unless I was going out with the boys after dinner.   ;)

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Hey Doc, those dogs look great. I love cheese dogs.
    But I know SWMBO would never let me use that much onion unless I was going out with the boys after dinner.   ;)

Ha ha, those dog piles were created BY my spouse.  Garlic and onions aren't an issue in this household.

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    We already knew, but that's a good gal doc. Hope she feels better.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Griffin said:

Hope the Mrs. Doc is feeling better. Nufin' wrong with dogs....especially if ya got some chilli to go on top of them.

What was your fairly complex cook you were getting into?

Just the leg quarters I posted later.  Not fancy, but balancing a lot of food for a dog cook in the middle.

• inkyon
    inkyon Posts: 88
    Options
    Doc, where did you get the extender and how much was it?
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    inkyon said:
    Doc, where did you get the extender and how much was it?
    You mean to raise the grid?  It is a Woo http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/ .  Price depends on size.

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Ha, I had a foot long dog yesterday from the local drive in.......For something so simple and nondescript,  nothing better that a good dog when the urge hits.............

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    Tjcoley said:
    Try spiral slicing the skin before cooking.  It won't curl, you get a lot more surface area, and lots of crevices for the toppings to slip into.  And they look cool.  

I 2nd that. Very east to do with a kabob stick
    Boom
  • ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    Options
    We love both hot dogs and bratwursts on the Egg!

Tim
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options

I did dogs tonight, actually I spatchcocked them and put some cooper sharp cheese on them. They are quick, easy and taste great cooked on the egg. 

Speaking of hot dogs, what are your favorites? I use Nathans mainly because I can get them at Sam's and Costco's but recently I have been using Costco brand 1/4 lb +. I think they are just one step under Pearl which I can't get in my area.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Those were Hebrew National.  I like Nathans as well.

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    Those were Hebrew National.  I like Nathans as well.

+1 to both brands. My favorites on the grill.
    Boom
  • LizzieSamps
    Options
    I can't get Nathan's here! Dang it, I know I will be having some this weekend!
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    edited August 2012
    Options
    So all the hot dog talk recently caused me stop and buy a few dogs and some rolls at a local shop. Don't even remember the brand....might be Kayem? Anyhow, on the Egg over Royal Oak at about 600° dome temp for a few minutes.

Then onto fresh New England style rolls(which were super fresh). Hit 'em with some Weber's horseradish mustard, and some home-made piccalilli relish. It's a sweet/sour relish made from green tomatoes, onions, and some hot red peppers too.  Had to wash it all down with an IPA.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options

I love those type of rolls.