Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo Ribs FTW

Options
easttexasaggie04
easttexasaggie04 Posts: 108
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Last night after reading several threads I tried my hand at some "Turbo Ribs".  I bought a rack of baby backs at Krogers for $13.  Put them on the rib rack and set the DigiQ for 350 and let em go for 2 hours.  10 minutes before I pulled them I rubbed them with some sauce.  I was very impressed with these ribs.  Actually much more tender than the ribs I cooked for 5 hours at 250 a couple of weeks back.

One note:  I really suck at getting that membrane off the back of the ribs.  Any tips?

I give Turbo Ribs 2 Aggie Thumbs Up!!

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    Never tried turbo ribs but getting the membrane off is not too bad if you slide the handle of a teaspoon (real one) along a middle-ish bone. Get your index finger through the pocket, close your thumb on the index and pull. Spares are tougher than baby backs
  • Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    Options
    My method is go to the third bone in from the small side, pry up the membrane and use a paper towel or your hands to remove in both directions.
    Edina, MN

• Little Steven
    Options
    Never tried turbo ribs but getting the membrane off is not too bad if you slide the handle of a teaspoon (real one) along a middle-ish bone. Get your index finger through the pocket, close your thumb on the index and pull. Spares are tougher than baby backs
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
    The paper towel is key. I just grab the edge with that.  If it starts ripping on you - just work slowly and pull from the areas that are falling behind.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

I just wanted to say it, too. Skip the paper towels and get you a pair of pliers. Clean ones that haven't been used on your car or god knows what.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Here's something I came across that help me remove the membrane. Take a nice sharp knife, and lightly run it along the membrane at the deepest part of the rib curve. Cut thru deep enough to get down to the bone. Then, towel in hand, peel up or down from the center. Works way better than trying to pull the whole thing off from the edges. Usually makes 4 smaller section of membrane.
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    I like the butter knife, slide under and roll the membrane on the blade and pull. 10 seconds.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    Ribs are on sale at Costco. $2.99 a lb.   Membrane already removed. 
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Baysidebob
    Baysidebob Posts: 489
    Options

One note:  I really suck at getting that membrane off the back of the ribs.  Any tips?

I give Turbo Ribs 2 Aggie Thumbs Up!!
    Catfish skinning pliers work great.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • Eller
    Eller Posts: 56
    Options
    Steve sails got it right. Costco carries Swift brand BB racks. Typically, 3 to a pack. Great deal.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    ...insane in the membrane...insane in the brain
    Options
    I was just thinking about an old beavis and butthead episode where they were doing a cypress hill song....  I welded a bracket on backwards yesterday (making a cold smoker).  Didn't notice until after I finished painting it.
    :-S

Ideally you would remove only the top membrane and leave the bottom one one to hold the bones.    Wouldn't it be "faster" to simply leave it on?

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited August 2012
    Options
    taking the membrane off is either incredibly easy, or incredibly hard. if hard, you are doing it the wrong way. 

there are two membranes.  each rib has a mmbrane/sheath around it like the finger of a glove. there's then mea between and over top all of the bones, and then there's a membrane (the one we care about) over top of the meat.

if you jab a fork or knife down clean to the very bone, from the end of a rib, and try to lift up that membrane, you are going to waste your time.  that one is the one around the bone.

i use a small paper towel or napkin, and use it to pinch the top surface, where our membrane is, at an outside corner. peel and pull.  that's it. it's thin. 

if you are jabbing and stabbing and trying to get to clean bone, you are gonna go nowhere

smitty: there's only one membrane, on the inside pleural cavity-side of the meat.  outside is muscle
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante