Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How many?

cwagz
cwagz Posts: 5
edited August 2012 in Pork

First post BTW....been a egger for about 2 months now.

I need to cook Q for a party of 30. How many whole boston butts (let's say 8lbs each) can I expect to fit on a Large BGE? Can i put them on their side rather than flat down, or would i be better off to buy an extra grid and rig something up for a second level??? Also will my cook time be extended for the extra meat?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    I'm sure the catering eggsperts will be along but for planning-a good thumb rule is # people/2.4= Lbs of pork butt to cook.  So with 30 people you should be fine with 2 8LB butts.  Sides and buns will also reduce the meat consumption. You can easily cook 2 8's on one LBGE grid and 3 if so inclined.  Cook times will be based on each butt, not the aggregate.  But each one will cook at its own pace and they could finish several hours apart-monitor the finishing temps on each as you get into the 190's.  Welcome and enjoy the journey-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292

No expert at figuring quantities, but the above equation results in about 0.42lbs of meat per person.  That seems low, especially since you will loose weight during the cooking processes.  I am sure someone else with more knowledge will give you a better answer but i would assume atleast 1/2lb of cooked pulled pork per person.

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    I always figured 1/2 to 3/4 pound uncooked per person, depending on the mix of people.  If you are serving a high school football team you probably want closer to a pound per person. No such thing as too much.  Once people try it, they'll want to take any leftovers home.
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Also as said in this forum before by those wiser than me...... If you serve it on a bun you can get away with less  meat. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501

I did 3-8#'s on a large. So what if they touch!  I did one  for the neighbor. The other two were enough to go through 40 home made buns also done on the egg. A bit left over .

I may put one on his weekend it sounds so good. And maybe some kielbasa shots.

PORK YOU GOT TO LOVE IT!

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    i figure 3 people per pound.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI