Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where do sharks go after shark week? On the BGE!!

Options
brewcityegger
brewcityegger Posts: 94
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
In honor of the end of shark week, I grilled some shark up tonight. I paired it with some broccoli slaw and a homemade cilantro lime vinaigrette. I garnished it with some grilled lemon. Love lemon this way.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Comments

• brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    Options
    Excellent!!! I've had shark a few times. Good to see something other tham butt or brisket. Looks great!
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Looks good. Shark week is always followed by 'Lobsterfest' - looking forward to additional postings.  
    Rubmyrock Posts: 266
    Options
    Shark is very underrated. I found some shark steaks at my local grocery store last year for less than $3 per pound and it was incredible
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Fresh shark is delicious.  Short shelf life - if you're buying it fresh, check for the absence of an ammonia smell before buying. 
    Options

So to be clear, I hate sharks... Been bumped by them while surfing countless times, seen tarpon get munched in half, had to drop a stringer of hog fish while being circled by Mr hammerhead...all this being said I have the utmost respect for the apex predator (I am just a visitor in his domain) and understand some fish may be as old as me. I dont take them...their actual good table food but its not worth it and Nolaeddhead is right they spoil quickly and you need to carefully clean them as well as they are high in mercury.

• gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Options
    Fresh shark is delicious.  Short shelf life - if you're buying it fresh, check for the absence of an ammonia smell before buying. 

The smell comes from them secreteing waste (urine) through their skin.
    George
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    gte1 said:

The smell comes from them secreteing waste (urine) through their skin.
    Yeah, they have very high urea levels - they store it in their muscle tissue.  The urea spoils via bacteriological action into ammonia.
    Options

I like them, but wife (The Marine Biologist/Nurse) wont let me eat them because of the high mercury count.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.