Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Band Adjustment

Options
Bamapetey
Bamapetey Posts: 6
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum

The other day I started the egg and started preparing food. About 20 minutes later I thought "oh crap!!" When I got to the egg it was on 200. I thought the flame may have went out. After noticing a smell and trying to pick the lid up I realized the smell was the gasket cooking. Once I opened it and it was cherry red I realized the reason I was on 200 degrees was because the thermometer made a full circle back to 200. So I was sitting well over 1000 degrees.

I started noticing the hinges are now hitting on my table. I assume it got so hot it expanded my band and now it needs some adjusting. What is the best way to tighten this. Do I have to go back and put the "white clips" back on to do this or should it be pretty simple? I just don't want to screw it up beyond repair. Do they need to be loosened and slid up or down and retightened?

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    If you have the clips, I'd use them. If not, carefully loosen the bolts to move the bands (if they need moving) and then while pressing gently down on the dome, tighten them. Good to go!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!