Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
There are two very delicious food holidays coming up that we wanted to share with you all because cheese and guac deserve to be celebrated! Guacamole Day is on September 16th and Cheeseburger Day is on September 18th. Happy cooking EGGheads! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Barbacoa Success w/ pictures!

the_alchemist83the_alchemist83 Posts: 84
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Have been wanting barbacoa for quite some time.  I like (not love) chipotle's and have been wanting a way to make a version at home.  Well, I am happy to report I think I found a way.  

Cut of meat:
I decided to try short ribs with the bone in.  I went with short ribs because my wife & I have had such great experience with braising these.  So I picked up 3 bone in short ribs from my local butcher shop with them separated.  I didn't take a picture pre because I didn't season them with anything.  I decided that I was going to braise them on the egg with a barbacoa recipe that I found.

Recipe:
I used this recipe that I found here:http://restaurantrecipesbook.com/chipotle-mexican-grill-barbacoa-burritos/print/ the only thing I did differently was use beef broth (50 % less sodium, since I'm trying to be reasonably healthy) instead of chicken broth.

I made the paste as directed, covered the ribs with them & then added the beef broth & bay leaves.  Making sure the ribs were thoroughly covered with the paste.  I had my egg pre-heated to right around 310 F, with ps (legs up) & the grate on top.  Covered the roasting pan (containing ribs) with foil and on they went.  4 hours right at about 310 F, fast forward to 6:40 pm, took the roasting pan & short ribs off, and raised the temp on the grill to 400 F, finished the ribs with 10 min/side.  Although this was pretty tough to keep the ribs in one piece.  Already falling off the bone at this point.  

I removed the ribs from the braising liquid, poured into a soup pot & reduced the braising liquid to more of a sauce (see pictures) while the ribs were finishing on the egg.  After 20 minutes, I pulled the ribs, started pulling the meat & poured the reduced braising liquid over the meat.  The result is below.  Was definitely spicier than I was expecting but all around delicious.  Honestly, I liked it better than Chipotle's barbacoa.  I'm hoping to get some actual beef cheeks this fall and going to try that.  Here are the pictures, enjoy & thanks for the look!

After 4 hour braise:

After grilling 10 min/side

Pulled meat in sauce:

On my flour tortilla:

Comments