Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s time to kick back, relax and enjoy the aromas of fresh smoked meat as we sail towards summer. Not sure what to smoke? Try Down & Dizzy Pork Shoulder or Smoked Spanish Chicken. Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Barbacoa Success w/ pictures!

the_alchemist83the_alchemist83 Posts: 84
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Have been wanting barbacoa for quite some time.  I like (not love) chipotle's and have been wanting a way to make a version at home.  Well, I am happy to report I think I found a way.  

Cut of meat:
I decided to try short ribs with the bone in.  I went with short ribs because my wife & I have had such great experience with braising these.  So I picked up 3 bone in short ribs from my local butcher shop with them separated.  I didn't take a picture pre because I didn't season them with anything.  I decided that I was going to braise them on the egg with a barbacoa recipe that I found.

Recipe:
I used this recipe that I found here:http://restaurantrecipesbook.com/chipotle-mexican-grill-barbacoa-burritos/print/ the only thing I did differently was use beef broth (50 % less sodium, since I'm trying to be reasonably healthy) instead of chicken broth.

I made the paste as directed, covered the ribs with them & then added the beef broth & bay leaves.  Making sure the ribs were thoroughly covered with the paste.  I had my egg pre-heated to right around 310 F, with ps (legs up) & the grate on top.  Covered the roasting pan (containing ribs) with foil and on they went.  4 hours right at about 310 F, fast forward to 6:40 pm, took the roasting pan & short ribs off, and raised the temp on the grill to 400 F, finished the ribs with 10 min/side.  Although this was pretty tough to keep the ribs in one piece.  Already falling off the bone at this point.  

I removed the ribs from the braising liquid, poured into a soup pot & reduced the braising liquid to more of a sauce (see pictures) while the ribs were finishing on the egg.  After 20 minutes, I pulled the ribs, started pulling the meat & poured the reduced braising liquid over the meat.  The result is below.  Was definitely spicier than I was expecting but all around delicious.  Honestly, I liked it better than Chipotle's barbacoa.  I'm hoping to get some actual beef cheeks this fall and going to try that.  Here are the pictures, enjoy & thanks for the look!

After 4 hour braise:

After grilling 10 min/side

Pulled meat in sauce:

On my flour tortilla:

Comments