Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maple flavored Canadian Bacon smoked with apple wood

Options
paqman
paqman Posts: 4,670
edited August 2012 in Pork
This was super easy to prepare...

Water + pink salt + salt + sugar + piece of pork loin in a ziploc bag for 48 hours.
Rubbed with maple sugar and rested in the fridge for 12 hours.
Smoked with apple wood in the egg for 2 hours @ 250 (dome) until the meat reached 150F.

The taste is great!  It will be fantastic with eggs benedict tomorrow morning!

imageimageimage

Comments

• AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    Options
    Looks good! I have about 7lbs of pork loin in a wet cure/brine right now. Hope to smoke it tomorrow sometime.
  • SoCal_Griller
    Options
    Looks awsome!  Thats next on my list of curing projects.

Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • paqman
    Options
    This was a test and I can't believe how easy it was.  I'll freeze this piece and see how good it is after un-freezing.  If the test is is conclusive,  I'll purchase a whole loin at costco.  I paid way too much at my butcher for this piece...

Options
    @pagman looks really good . What where the ratio's of the ingredients you used ?
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • AleBrewer
    Options
    It freezes very well. I usually do a whole loin....slice it....and freeze in small foodsaver bags.
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    Maple sugar and apple wood is a killer combo on any piece of pork.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Looks great.  On my to do list for sure.
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    I love Canadian Bacon, big wow factor.  Your cook looks great.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• paqman
    Options
    @pagman looks really good . What where the ratio's of the ingredients you used ?
    @bigphil

Brine:
    -4 liters water
    -350 grams kosher salt
    -225 grams sugar
    -42 grams prague powder #1 (pink salt)

Meat:
    2 kilogram boneless pork loin (fat/sinew/silver skin removed)
    (The piece of meat that I used weighted 800 grams)  

1. Combine all the brine ingredients and bring to a simmer to disolve the salt and sugar. Let cool to room temperature then refrigerate until chilled. 

2. Cover the meat (make sure it is submerged) with the chilled brine and let rest 48 hours in the fridge (I used a large ziploc bag as a container and about 1/4 the brine solution)

3.  Remove the meat from the brine and rinse it with cold water then pat it dry (discard the brine).  Rub the meat with maple sugar and place on a plate.  Refrigerate, uncovered, for 12-24 hours.

4.   Smoke on the egg @ 250F (dome) until the meat reaches 147-150F.

The brine recipe comes from the book "Charcuterie".  The recipe did not call for the maple sugar rub but it was really good!

Options
    Same recipe I used, but I added the sage, garlic, and thyme.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Yeah. I think the real "Charcuterie" recipe (ruhlman/polcyn) has the herbs plus garlic

Much better with the additional flavors
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    @paqman Thank!!!
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • stike
    Options
  • paqman
    edited August 2012
    Options
    stike said:

Yeah. I think the real "Charcuterie" recipe (ruhlman/polcyn) has the herbs plus garlic

Much better with the additional flavors

@stike I'm not sure the herbs would have been a good blend with the maple sugar. It may be just me, when it comes to maple sugar, I'm a purist.

BTW, thanks for making the initial posts about Charcuterie. It is a great book. I also made the italian sausages recipe from the book and they were great!

Options
    Yeah. I think the real "Charcuterie" recipe (ruhlman/polcyn) has the herbs plus garlic Much better with the additional flavors
    That's the one I use.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• stike
    Options
    I always add maple. There's no real purist recipe for this stuff.
    I use brown sugar and maple to make up the total sugar amount. The aromatics basically hit it out of the park
  • stike
    Options
    ... Also. followup Just wanted to post the full ruhlman recipe. Mod as desired

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    One more page bookmarked. Thanks for the recipes/ideas!
  • AleBrewer
    Options
    I just fried up a test piece of my back bacon....a bit too salty, so I have it soaking in cold water for 30 min.

Also fried up a couple of eggs to go with it....and Stike is right....the aromatics make this bacon so much better. Can't wait to try it after smoking it.