Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Upgrading my table, just enlarged the tile from 18" to 24" granite, plus using tung oil *pics*

FxLynch
FxLynch Posts: 433
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I built this table last fall but never got to finish it since I used pressure treated wood (wasn't sure what to use, next time I'll use diff materials).  I let it dry and recently started treating it with Dark Tung oil, pure tung oil not the finishes that are called Tung Oil.  I recessed an opening for an 18" x 18" tile, but when I went to buy granite no one sold them individually, and don't even have them in stock so you order a whole case for $77.  Last night I stopped in a store and they had 24" granite, for $15 per sq/ft.  The guy actually came down half price, so for $30 I picked up black granite.  Today I routed the table out for the larger tile.  Not anywhere near the level some of the tables posted here, but it dramatically changed the look between the tung oil and the bigger tile.

Pic from last fall when the table just built, original tile is hard to see: 
Pic of the table with a few coats of tung oil, and the small tile all stained after 9 months of use:

And finally, after recessing the new bigger granite tile today:

Comments