Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First brisket

Options
The_Bozzinator
The_Bozzinator Posts: 7
edited August 2012 in Beef
Well I did my first brisket, was planning for 18 hr smoke. I prepped the egg, put the brisket on at 9:45 pm last night. well it was done at 11:30 this morning, learned my lesson less time. Looks great did a FTC, just waiting for dinner time to slice it!

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Great looking cook-at the risk of the obvious-when you slice the flat has a very distinctive grain pattern and slice against it-in the point (separate before slicing) the grain can run in various directions so just watch it and do the best you can cross-grain.  Enjoy the hunk of brisket!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bjadams
    bjadams Posts: 28
    Options
    I just did my first brisket as well. I started with the smallest vacuum packed piece I could find at Costco.

I gave it an overnight dry rub and cooked it at a dome temp of 250 -300. I had no stall at 150-160 so I abandoned plans to wrap it with beef stock and apple juice, instead allowing it to finish dry at 202 degrees. I did wrap and cooler it for 2 hours before slicing.

I was really convinced the meat would be overcooked and dry but was astonished to find it moist and flavorful. I paired it with some "Bone Sucking Sauce" which I find a bit too sweet so I added Siracha Sauce, Crystal hot sauce and a touch of sesame oil.

The meat was in the egg for six hours and then two hours in a cooler so a total of eight hours for this small brisket.

Sorry no picture but these guys ain't especially pretty though it sure did taste good.