Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

How do YOU start your BGE?

2»

Comments

• ShiffShiff Posts: 1,054
    I start my charcoal using 91% alcohol purchased at Walmart. I use a pencil to poke a tiny hole in the seal and then  squirt a little alcohol in 4 places in a circle about 4 inches in from the outside rim of the charcoal. Then a little squirt in the center.  Wait a few seconds then toss in a match.

Alcohol burns clean and quickly starts the charcoal. It is very safe as long as you stand back a little when dropping in the match.  The warmer the day, the more  it evaporates before lighting and can cause a flash.  In the winter, it doesn't evaporate and I actually have to hold the match at the squirt points.
    Barry Lancaster, PA
  • Looftlighter and light in three spots for direct cooks. Indirect cooks i use a firestarter to get the lump burning consistently
  • stevesailsstevesails Posts: 935
    Weed burner
    1345406407523.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• I use fire. Alcohol, fire starters and sometimes paper towels with canola oil
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,673

So far just using bge starters. But cut in half as others have said. They work well, but are amazingly expensive. 

If you want cheap and easy, consider the electric starter.  It will cost you $8 and will last for years.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• hogsfanhogsfan Posts: 128

@hogsfan clever idea! I always used to hate the newspaper ash mess when I used my CS for my water smoker.
    Yep. The mess is a thing of the past.  I also don't have to keep matches or a lighter around. ...but honestly, the main reason I do this is because it's so much faster.  
  • BaysidebobBaysidebob Posts: 488
    All of the above.  Most often electric for indirect.  Chimney for direct when I want hot coals uniform across the firebox for something like a mess of burgers.  Electric plus stir today for spatchcocked chicken direct and raised.  Cubes get costly but there is certainly something to be said for the extra time it takes which provides more "me time".  I have not used alcohol but it's on my list.  I need some to make more blue-ice for the beverage cooler and I'll give what's left a try as starter.
    My actuary says I'm dead.