Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you had a hoppy Easter and are ready to spring into warm weather cooking mode! There’s nothing better than spending time outdoors with the sweet aroma of fresh cooked Ribs. Baseball season is also underway, so it's the perfect time to try out some chicken wing variations! We have Jamaican Jerk, Lemon Pepper, Fired-Up Wings and even a Whiskey Onion and Chicken Steak if wings aren't your thing. Bon appetit!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Ruh-roh...overnight pork butt @290?

Mole351Mole351 Posts: 110
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Thought was stabilized when went to bed @240...woke up 7 hrs later and dome temp was 290. 9 lb butt already at 175 not even 11 hrs into cook. Gonna have big impact on end result?
·

Comments

• newegg13newegg13 Posts: 231
    Not at all. Somewhat higher temps will actually yield better results on butts and briskets. I usually cook shoulders at about 275-280 dome. On my last overnight (a butt), my dome was 350 when I woke up. I freaked out, but forum members talked me off the ledge, and it tasted great. You can go a little lower if you want to slow it down, but it may stall for several hours. Once it's done, you can FTC for at least five hours without a problem.
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
    ·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,767
    Right on. Thats where I cook my butts . 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • lecramslecrams Posts: 106
    +1 on the higher temps
    ·
  • QDudeQDude Posts: 591
    You won't have any problem at all.  Pork butts are very forgiving.

A northern Colorado Egghead since 2012!

XL and a Small BGE.

·