Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Food sticking to the BGE thermo in dome

LizzieSamps
LizzieSamps Posts: 894
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Has this happened to anyone, sometimes when I am using the swing rack in the upper position the food on the rack touches or gets stuck on the dome thermo. Is this anything I need to worry about? Sorry this is such a silly question. Thanks everyone!

Comments

• VA in GA
    VA in GA Posts: 54
    Lizziesamps,   I had the same problem with ribs on the rack stuck to the thermo and clip, now I can't seem to get the thermo out to calibrate the gauge again.  I'd like to know the answer to your question too. 
    Proud Griller of a BGE Medium, Small and Large in May 2015!
  • I'll bump it up tomorrow, if no one replies.
  • VA in GA
    VA in GA Posts: 54
    Thank You.  This is the best BGE forum too learn from, don't want to be just a Looky Lou!   
    Proud Griller of a BGE Medium, Small and Large in May 2015!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,182
    Okay-I have the CGW swing rack ( for around a year now) and when I really elevate the cook up into the dome I make sure to position the food so as not to interfere with the dome thermo (gotta have some believeble indications).  On the off chance I can't get there from here, I will pull the dome thermo and then run it through a small piece of wine cork on the outside to get the necessary spacing.  I'm a firm believer in having some indicator of what's happening on the inside-Maverick probes will get you the same data-just know the source of the info you are managing your cook with.  And make sure you know the info is from a calibrated instrument.  Enjoy the journey!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    +1 on the wine cork. I have them on both my LBGE and SBGE.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • frankie482
    frankie482 Posts: 263
    Move the thermo clip to the outside of the dome instead of inside.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited August 2012
    Years ago after bending my first one I now toss the inside clip away. I buy the toy wooden truck wheels and use none to 3 or 4 to keep it off the meat. None is fine as well. Point is without the clip in most cases it will just push itself up if hits and not bend. I do this on all my eggs. Now lots of Eggers just reverse the clip to use on the outside of the Egg. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Oh, ok, now I know! Thanks everyone so much!!