Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
National BBQ Month sure was tasty! We hope you got to try just as many new BBQ recipes as we did and some old favorites as well. If not, you can find all our BBQ recipes here and try them out all summer long. One of our favorites was Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise and Ted Reader’s Rum Injected Sweet Potatoes. As the weather’s heating up, use your EGG for a cool treat-Ice Cream Sandwiches! Keep an eye out for some Father’s Day recipes from chefs & their dads, coming soon!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Pulled Pork Issue/Help

mountaindewbassmountaindewbass Posts: 1,731
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I injected my 7lb boneless pork shoulder from Costco last night.  Got the egg steadied at 245F, 12 hours later my alarm goes off and tells me that the pork is at 195 internal temp.  The issue:
It is some of the most dry pork ever and its tough as nails.

It was frozen, i thawed it in the fridge for three days.  Injected it with apple juice/cider mixture, put it back in the fridge for an hour while getting the egg up to temp.

Rubbed with mustard, brown sugar, and Dizzy Coarse grind.

So if this cant be salvaged im thinking of doing a turbo butt..and i need assistance on what methods work best.  Were having 20 people over for dinner tonight for my Birthday, most of them have not had Egg food..so i would like to do it justice.

Also were doing Ribs.  THe initial plan was to put the ribs on around 11am ...but if i do tubro im not sure what ill do.

HELLLLPPP
·

Comments

• BadongBadong Posts: 126
    I've never done a turbo butt, but there are a ton of threads on here about it.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1141293/turbo-vs-low-n-slow-butt/p1

Hope it works for you.
    ·
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    that's a fast cook, i think the meat was 195, but not in the center.

here's the paradox with pork: if it is dry and toughm, it is undercooked.

if it wouldn't oull, it wasn't ready to pull, and you were at the point in the cook where all the real moisture has driven off, but the fat and collagen haven't done their thing yet.  they rewet the meat after it falls apart.

12 hours at 245 is not normal. i think your temp was not really 195 throughout hte meat. or it would have fallen apart
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·
  • So should i juat give it more time. My thermapen and maverick are saying its 190-195 in the center
    ·
  • If your right then that means i would need to leave it until it becomes soft and moist. At what point/temp does the mest dry out completely?
    ·
  • Pulled pork is always a tough thing to time when correct when having guests....but I do find a modified turbo method works well.

If you're going to give it a shot here is how I do it...

-2 hours @ 225-250 with 2 chunks of dry wood, and 1-2 chucks soaked wood.  Your trying to get the smoke flavor into the meat quickly with out over smoking.
    -Transfer to cast iron pot with either beer or juice and raise temp to 375-400, 2 more hours (adjust depending on internal temp).
    -Pull out of the pot, temp back down around 300 and cook until you have a crust... you won't have as thick of a bark, so focus on your sauces.

I prefer letting them go low and slow at 225-240, but the method above always finishes with in 20-25 minutes of when I think it will.

If I were you for tonight...focus on your ribs and run out to the story for some chicken thighs/legs/wings (something easy) to replace the pork.
    ·
  • I think im gonna trust in stike. If hes wrong then im screwed
    ·
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    it should be falling apart at 195 if it truly is 195 throughout

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·
  • Its at 200 now and its getting more moist and softer
    ·
  • Been on for 14.5 hrs
    ·
  • mountaindewbassmountaindewbass Posts: 1,731
    edited August 2012
    Is it possible for their to be multiple butt stalls? My meat has gone fron 200 to 175. Still have lump and dome temp is at 275 assuming the fat is still breaking down
    ·
  • Trust your guy and dont live entirely by the thermos. It is done when the probe slide in and out like butter. Good luck!
    ·
  • Hillbilly-HightechHillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited August 2012
    Is it possible for their to be multiple butt stalls? My meat has gone fron 200 to 175. Still have lump and dome temp is at 275 assuming the fat is still breaking down

Yes, the first time I did pulled pork I had 2 stalls, and I freaked out (originally planned on having the sides done @ the same time so they went on, but then pork hit 2nd stall unexpectedly which meant sides were done WAY earlier than pork).  Long story short - family wasn't happy (luckily I wasn't having guests).  
    Anyway, for whatever reason, every time I've done pulled pork since then, it's hit 2 stalls - so now I just anticipate & plan for that.  Some folks have never had 2 stalls, some have had 2 stalls a few times, I seem to have them every time.  
    Oh well, cest la vie.  
    Anyway, yes, two stalls are not too uncommon to be worried about (see what I did there w/ all the "to's") :D
    HTH,
    Rob
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
    ·
  • doubledouble Posts: 1,214
    Does it have bone in? Could you be taking temP read next to the bone?
    Lynnwood WA
    ·
  • No bone. I ended up pulling it after it got to 188 and foiled it, it will hopefully cook up to 195
    ·
  • Phoenix824Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    Last butt I had stalled at 190 to 192 for like 3 hours.     Pulled it at 195 when the probe slid in like butta. 
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
    ·
  • End result. Pulled pork super dooper dry=tossed
    ·
  • Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,330
    Those 5 degrees from 195 to 200 make a difference.  I also wrap mine in foil when taken off the heat, and put it in a cooler to stay hot for awhile longer before pulling apart.
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

·
  • ribnrunribnrun Posts: 174
    Maybe next time try a bone-in butt. The bone is like a built in thermometer. When the bone wants to slide out nice and easy, it is done. Then wrap it in foil, a crappy towel and throw it in a warm cooler for an hour before you pull it. I would skip the injecting next time, the egg is pro at keeping food moist. Every piece of meat is different, maybe yer last butt was one that was not ready until 210 internal. The bone is a good way to check doneness and is completely in sync with the piece on the grill. Bummer the last one was no good. Give it another try though, you will nail it.
    ·
    Maybe next time try a bone-in butt. The bone is like a built in thermometer. When the bone wants to slide out nice and easy, it is done. Then wrap it in foil, a crappy towel and throw it in a warm cooler for an hour before you pull it. I would skip the injecting next time, the egg is pro at keeping food moist. Every piece of meat is different, maybe yer last butt was one that was not ready until 210 internal. The bone is a good way to check doneness and is completely in sync with the piece on the grill. Bummer the last one was no good. Give it another try though, you will nail it.
    ·
    Stupid double post, sorry.
    ·
  • XLBalcoXLBalco Posts: 570

No bone. I ended up pulling it after it got to 188 and foiled it, it will hopefully cook up to 195

i thought you pulled it off the egg at 200 degrees?  are you saying you pulled it off at 188?  that seems way too early
    ·
  • newegg13newegg13 Posts: 231
    I had two two stalls on my first bone-in butt. Also, I think 188 is a little low to pull it off. However, it shouldn't have been completely dry.
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
    ·
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,585
    edited August 2012
    I would say skip the injection, it should go from package to smoker with just a rub and hours later once it hits temp fall apart. I have had em turn out drier than I would have liked but they were always maskable with some of the fat and a wet sauce. Never bone dry though.
    Seattle, WA
    ·
  • yeah thats what ill do next time, i was trying to get as much flavor as possible..but maybe the needle just created to many holes in the meat or something.

Also the ribs turned out super dry as well...not sure whats going on.  Both were in the freezer, then thawed in the fridge. I wonder if that has something to do with them being so dry? I dunno.  But it was pretty disappointing
    ·
  • Have you calibrated your thermo, I had a rib massacre because my thermo was way off, like 100 degrees off!
    ·
  • Yup, calibrated maverick, dome thermometer, and party q thermo day before cook
    ·
  • Darn, wish we could figure out what the problem was.
    ·
  • Yeah. Im clueless on this one. I attribute the pulled pork due to injection l.. Ribs.. Not sure
    ·
  • XLBalco said:

No bone. I ended up pulling it after it got to 188 and foiled it, it will hopefully cook up to 195

i thought you pulled it off the egg at 200 degrees?  are you saying you pulled it off at 188?  that seems way too early
    It was 200, then the temp dropped to 188 and started to toughen up so i pulled it
    ·
  • Could just be the cut of meat.  I was talking with my friend the other day and we were both saying how we've had pork shoulders that just were not good cuts of meat despite not doing anything noticeably different in the cook.  My last shoulder turned out like a giant pork chop & he's had a similar experience, despite the fact that I didn't do anything different.  I've been getting most of my meat from a local butcher shop & almost everything has been great.  Maybe you want to try a different source for your meat?
    ·