Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

help me perfect this.

Options
smokesniffer
smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
TAI. I tried the Naked Whiz recipe called Bar Towel Tenderloin. I had two tenderloins tied together and rubbed with my favourite rub. All the prep work went fine. I am just trying to perfect the actual grilling of it. Was using both eggs, large had an indirect cook of Parmesan Potatoes, and also AF'ed corn. The small egg was used for the tenderloin. The real estate was needed for the corn and potatoes on the large. So I used about 3 lbs of salt on the tenderloin, 2 lbs of Kosher Salt and then I had about 1 lb of table salt, I mixed it all together and put the meat in the towel and tied it together. The meat was placed directly on the coals. It was a tight fit, had to bend the meat into a horseshoe type pattern. Let it cook, the recipe says to grill about 30 minutes, and they suggested not to turn it over, so went with that. Used the thermopen to check temps. About 25 minutes into the cook, the towel had secured itself onto the fire ring, and I had to pry it off with a screwdriver. Temps creeped up on me and I pulled it a little late. So the end result was a little dry, but not all bad. We had some fig jam reduced and made a drizzle for it. 
What I am trying to find out is, Should I have used the large due to the larger area, (not having to wedge the meat into the small). I have seen pics with meat crammed into different size eggs so not sure if that is a concern or not.
Secondly I should have pulled the meat sooner, with such a direct heat, at what temp should I have pulled the meat and let it rest.
All in all it was fun and it tasted good, just drier than we would have preferred. Any tips that would help me master this? It was cool to see the meat just right there on the coals.

Large, small, and a mini

Comments

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
  • LizzieSamps
    Options
    So the meat is wrapped in towels and thrown on the coals. Do the towels burn?
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Sorry I don't have any advice but I have got to try this. Recently did a salt crusted chicken which was fantastic. The towel adds a whole new perspective, especially direct on the coals. Naked Whiz recipe says to be sure the whole thing is on hot coals, so since your towel stuck to fire box it may have been an issue of size of the fire.
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    What temp did you pull it? I like to take pork roasts off around 140 and let them rest and come up to 145.
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    edited August 2012
    Options
    @Lizzy they sure do. Make sure the towel is 100% cotton. And when you pull the meat off the coals, the salt is solid, you have to crack it off the meat.
    @Tjcoley, thanks for the tip about the whole thing on the coals. I did this in a small egg because I needed my large for the other food for the meal.. next time I will use the large and see how it goes. You gotta try this, it is fun.
    :D
    Large, small, and a mini