Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tomato Soup!

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,471
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Although Summer dictates barbequed meat, once the ripe tomatoes hit the farmer's markets I almost become a vegetarian for a a couple months, LOVE good tomatoes!  This month's Cook's Illustrated had a recipe for "Chilled Tomato Soup".  I make a lot of their Gazpacho, but thought I'd try this today.  To concentrate the tomato flavor they used 1 lb of fresh tomatoes, and 1 lb of tomatoes roasted in the oven.  Well, I did the second pound on the Egg with some smoke, why not?
Recipe in abbreviated form:
Roast 1 lb cored and halved tomatoes in the Egg @ 375 for 30 minutes, also smoke 2 smashed garlic cloves and 1 sliced shallot for half that time.  Dump in a blender with 1 lb cored fresh tomato, 2 tsp tomato paste, pinch smoked paprika, pinch cayenne, salt & pecker to taste, and 1 tsp sherry vinegar.  Blend for 30 seconds, then slowly add 6 Tbspns EVOO while the blender is still running.  Push through a strainer and chill til ice-cold.  
This stuff was a b*tch to push through my strainer, next time I'll blend it for 60 seconds and eat it as-is.  
It's very, very good, but I think I still prefer gazpacho (which I haven't tried with any smoked tomatoes, something to do Sunday!).  I also bet I've posted the first tomato soup recipe on this Forum, do I get a t-shirt or something?  :D 

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

Comments

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    sounds good and these are just for you Botch 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited August 2012
    Options
    @botch: i have an old food mill that doesn't get broken out often, but would be perfect to make that soup extra smooth.
    SWMBO loves tomatoes and tomato soup. Showing her this one.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options

Although Summer dictates barbequed meat, once the ripe tomatoes hit the farmer's markets I almost become a vegetarian for a a couple months, LOVE good tomatoes!  This month's Cook's Illustrated had a recipe for "Chilled Tomato Soup".  I make a lot of their Gazpacho, but thought I'd try this today.  To concentrate the tomato flavor they used 1 lb of fresh tomatoes, and 1 lb of tomatoes roasted in the oven.  Well, I did the second pound on the Egg with some smoke, why not?
    Recipe in abbreviated form:
    Roast 1 lb cored and halved tomatoes in the Egg @ 375 for 30 minutes, also smoke 2 smashed garlic cloves and 1 sliced shallot for half that time.  Dump in a blender with 1 lb cored fresh tomato, 2 tsp tomato paste, pinch smoked paprika, pinch cayenne, salt & pecker to taste, and 1 tsp sherry vinegar.  Blend for 30 seconds, then slowly add 6 Tbspns EVOO while the blender is still running.  Push through a strainer and chill til ice-cold.  
    This stuff was a b*tch to push through my strainer, next time I'll blend it for 60 seconds and eat it as-is.  
    It's very, very good, but I think I still prefer gazpacho (which I haven't tried with any smoked tomatoes, something to do Sunday!).  I also bet I've posted the first tomato soup recipe on this Forum, do I get a t-shirt or something?  :D 
    I don't know about you, but I have no idea what a pecker tastes like!  If I try this recipe, I may have to substitute something else for that pecker!
    :-t
    Flint, Michigan
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I can imagine how nice a pinch of cayenne must feel on your pecker! 
    Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Makes me think about making a gazpacho but substituting a few smoked tomatoes for raw tomatoes, and multiplying the garlic by 10x....roasted, smoked garlic - raw garlic is too acrid.  Oh, and roasted red peppers.  Yum. 
    Options
    Makes me think about making a gazpacho but substituting a few smoked tomatoes for raw tomatoes, and multiplying the garlic by 10x....roasted, smoked garlic - raw garlic is too acrid.  Oh, and roasted red peppers.  Yum. 
    Good idea with smoking the peppers too, which my favorite gazpacho recipe has.  Wonder what smoking the cucumbers too would be like?  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.