Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fiberglass gasket or nomex?

Jrod72
Jrod72 Posts: 67
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Any good advise! Time for a change and think I may use the stove fiberglass woven gasket. Do you put that kind of gasket on both top and bottom and does the Rutland adhesive work well?

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942

Put the Rutland on only the top ~or~ bottom, not both.  Don't use the rutland adhesive.  Pick up some Permatex Ultra Copper from a auto parts store.  

Packerland, Wisconsin

• troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    You may want to try the new gaskets provided by bge. New gaskets. The original and hi temp versions are being discontinued.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878

Put the Rutland on only the top ~or~ bottom, not both.  Don't use the rutland adhesive.  Pick up some Permatex Ultra Copper from a auto parts store.  

Good advice if you're looking for s permanent fix...
  • Jrod72
    Good advise ChokeOnSmoke. Thanks.
  • troutgeek
    No warranty issues if you try the brand new gasket design from bge. Maybe it's the bees knees?
  • FlyingTivo
    FlyingTivo Posts: 352
    Im glad this came up, last night while rearranging the lump from last burn, I inadvertantly rubbed my forearms against the Rutlands installed on the bottom and got the nasty fiberglass rash. I highly recommend that you use the Rutlands on top with the permatex copper. That way you will have the same seal but no rash!!!!

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Installed the Nomex on mine, top and bottom, about a year and a half ago...still holding strong.

Opelika, Alabama
  • Nomex holding up fine on mine after 2 years.  Lots of pizzas and no problems.
    Mamaroneck
  • What's the new BGE solution? I haven't heard about that yet.
  • troutgeek

What's the new BGE solution? I haven't heard about that yet.

Bge has a new gasket, and supposedly, they are discontinuing the original and hi temp gaskets. No other word than that. Hopefully, it's a change for the best. Oh yes, some minor design changes to the fire ring. The fire ring will be indentented for plate setter placement. (I think this has already been done for the XL, but now it's being changed for the large -- maybe other sizes too...)
  • Jrod72
    All good comments! Thanks friends.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited August 2012

Im glad this came up, last night while rearranging the lump from last burn, I inadvertantly rubbed my forearms against the Rutlands installed on the bottom and got the nasty fiberglass rash. I highly recommend that you use the Rutlands on top with the permatex copper. That way you will have the same seal but no rash!!!!

Felipe

Yeah, if I had to do it over, I would have put mine on the top to keep ash, food drippings, etc. off of it.  Working fine on the bottom though.

Packerland, Wisconsin

• I have the Hi-Que Nomex gasket.  Put on before I assembled the egg.   I've spun the thermo around a few times and the gasket is holding strong.

The issue with the rutland gasket is that it is not approved for use around food.   Eventually your going to rub that thing and get fiberglass on your skin or better yet be serving fiberglass impregnated food to your family.